Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Rebuilder in SoCal Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crankhole, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Crankhole

Crankhole

Could I get some recommendations for some reputable flathead machinists/rebuilders in the SoCal area?...and those to stay away from? Need to get my 8ba rebuilt after the holidays. Thanks.

2. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

H & H in La Crescenta or Art Chrisman down in Santa Ana are first class..

CB

3. Weasel

Weasel

CB have you checked out Art Chrisman's prices? He charges a fortune for flathead rebuilds.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Both Art and H&H are very expensive. Do your homework, ask around locally there are some engine builders in your area who are still in the real world!

5. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

He said *reputable*...didn't ask for cheap!;)

CB

6. Crankhole

Crankhole

That's what I'm doing.

I understand the whole "you get what you pay for" thing but...any others that could be recommended than the ones already mentioned?

7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I havent used them but my friends like Johnson's Automotive Machine in Yucaipa 909-797-2063.

8. Offy 220

Offy 220

Hi Krylon,

Not to take away from the OP. I need a 59a block hot-tanked, acid-dipped, re-sleeved, decked and seats ground. Years ago Joe Reath in Long Beach did that work. Who else does that work in So Cal other than H&H and Art? Many of the small machine shops around here are gone or people running these shops are not familiar with Flathead V8's. I did some calling around and most think a SBC is a [?] vintage engine.

Thanks,
    Offy 220

9. Berky

Berky

I have had two blocks done by Allan Mest in Gardena and would highly recommend him. His shop is insane. He has almost any random old car part you would need.

10. plan9

plan9

I have a place off the 405/Manchester Ave do my block/balancing work. Dick is his name, I dont even know the name of the machine shop... i just know where to go haha......although... better yet, Logan Davis out of Castaic can handle the whole deal for you at a reasonable price.... best to have a core motor to start off with but if you dont have one something can be worked out.

We are partnered on a flathead powered race car, so there is a bit of experience backing up the talk. ;)

I can PM you his number.

11. Offy 220

Offy 220

Not to steal the thread from the original poster, thanks for the info Rusty Rod and plan9. I am hoping to salvage the block. 20 to 30 years ago finding a decent block wasn't too difficult, things have changed. I am mostly concerned about being able to sleeve the block. It was bored to 7/16".

Thanks,
    Offy 220

12. Crankhole

Crankhole

Any more recommendations? Is it really that necessary for them to have flathead experience...or will any good machine shop be able to do the work? Thank you for those already given.

13. Engine Machine in Santa Ana does great work.....I think he does Art's machining.....

14. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Jim Grubb Motorsports in Sylmar is a more then competent machine shop that also builds race engines. They are familiar with flatties. I believe it was Street Rodder that used them for a write-up about flatheads a few years ago. Their shop is professional, clean, and uncluttered. I've used them before, they are competitively priced.

15. plan9

plan9

well, yes.. you pay someone to do a job because they have experience with it right? or, do you want to pay for someone to learn while working on your block?

16. plan9

plan9

i have 2 blocks in similar shape... a 59L and normal 59, both bored to 3 7/16 and both relieved quite a bit. figure $100.00 per hole, and no guarantee that on the last sleeve the block doesn't go to shit. :D its risky...

17. 41PICUP

41PICUP

Try chcking with Vern Tardel in northern California.

18. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

I don't want to jack this thread but what would be a ballpark estimate on having a basic flatty rebuilt?

19. I agree.....H&H!

20. You didn't just say that!!!!!!

21. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

flathead experience is a must for a rebuild,they arent your OHV set up and havent been in production since 53.They are unique and need the proper care to get it right.

22. Offy 220

Offy 220

Thanks for the information plan9. Maybe I will think twice about the re-sleeving the block, plus all the other work it needs.

Offy 220

23. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

found these numbers in a hot rod deluxe issue on flatheads..hopes it helps

mike's ealry iron,pomona ca-909-629-3182
    taylor engine rebuilding,whittier ca-562-698-7231

24. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Try Speedomotive in Covina. Mike Brown in Pomona.
    Before you choose H&H, I would seriously talk to some machinists and people who have had work done there in the past, it will help you make a decision.

25. Offy 220

Offy 220

Hi Hells,

You mentioned Mike Brown in Pomona. I was wondering if he is the same Mike Brown who did fab work in Pomona. In the 80's I purchased a 32 frame with running gear from Bob Bauder. We removed the fenders and body at his shop. I will get a hold of him regarding flathead machine work.

Thanks,
    Offy 220

26. i've used bob @ bob mckray performance in mission viejo, he always has a lot of flathead and early hemi stuff laying around. the downside is he is a one man shop so speedy is not his middle name :). he runs a fed at chrr and march meet........and he's doing my 390 right now.

27. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

As Plan9 Mentioned , Logan Davis out of Castaic, CA does great work and has helped me with my first two flatheads. Also runs at bonneville with the MileStone Roadster! Great alternative when not wanting to spend High Rate Prices and want a job well done.

28. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Reath is retired and in poor health so that takes him out of the equation. I would recommend H&H, pricey but good.

29. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Call Bob Mckray, You might have to wait awhile for it, but he will do a good job.
    Jimmy White

30. 29ron

29ron

H&H did mine last year. @3500$ for a mild short block rebuild. They are also Hambers. Ask for mike.