Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead radiator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hfh, Dec 9, 2017.

1. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I’ve been driving my roadster for about 20 years with a 4” core radiator, chopped 2”. As a test, for the past two years I have been driving it with a piece of waterproof cardboard blocking the bottom 5” with no difference in cooling while moving. I do have to run the electric fan when in traffic, just as I had to do without the cardboard.
    I always thought that the ‘32 grille looked too massive for this car so since it’s winter here, I thought it would be fun to try some alternative grilles. Using either of these will require having a custom radiator made. A friend who builds race cars thinks I should use an aluminum radiator, since switching to aluminum on the race cars has improved cooling. Any thoughts? For the new radiator, do I just need to approximately match the number of square inches in the old core or since the new core will be narrower and taller, will,the number of square inches need to change?
    So my questions are: brass or aluminum? Minimum number of square inches needed. Thank you for any thoughts. Howard.

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd talk to Lee at Brass Works. I'm sure he could assist you with the sizing issue. As for aluminum vs. brass I think you can figure out what he'll suggest based based on the name of his company.

deucemac likes this.
  3. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thank you for your thoughts. Any other ideas out there?

4. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

definitely not the 37

5. I like the 37 grill and personally if I see an aluminum radiator in a traditional car I feel a little sad.

Petejoe and seb fontana like this.
  6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kind of like the Riley grill it fits with the speedster type screen and overall size of the car.
    At a show it will be a point of difference (better) for sure.

7. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Cool car. Don't think I've seen it around.

8. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

341AA00E-2F19-4190-8D7F-7C4861BAC0E8.jpeg C0EE8767-E375-4DDD-AA64-43CDFB24C0EC.jpeg Thank you 51504 for your suggestion that I call Brassworks. Lee was very helpful. One of the suggestions he made was to make a wooden radiator in the configuration I want so that I can be sure that everything will fit. I included radiator hose locations and I made a fan using some foam that I had. I did decide to use the Riley grille for now and the core is shaped to work with this grille. I have just about the same cubic inches in the new configuration as my old radiator. If I get daring I might cut 2” off the bottom since the bottom tank is just slightly higher than my front axle. This would reduce the area of the core by 28”.

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice mock up. I'm sure the actual radiator will be spot on when you get it from The Brassworks. I know their radiators aren't cheap but in the long run it will be worth it. IMO.