Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead pulley questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djmahle, Sep 3, 2013.

1. djmahle

djmahle
    from Minnesota

I am putting a 50 Ford flathead in a Brookville 32 style frame. I have put on the truck water pumps with the wide pulleys to get the correct motor mounts. I also have picked up a wide belt crankshaft pulley but the back part of the rear pulley will interfere with the timing pin on the front engine cover if I install it. Question is, has anybody just cut down the back pulley sheave to clear the timing pin?? If so how careful do I need to be regarding balance of the cut down pulley? I that works out then I guess I can get a generator from a 49 Ford and swap pulleys with my 50 generator.

I have read the long thread form December of 2010 regarding belts, changing pulleys on water pumps etc.

Thanks for any help and advise.

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I bet you've got the wrong crank pulley, sounds like you've got a pre-48 one, you need the 48-53 pickup pulley.

3. jetmek

jetmek

the longer pin is for the castiron pulley. just trim the pin you can check the mark alignmant with a piston stop and dgreewheel

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '48-'53 truck and '49 Ford/Merc wide belt crank pulleys have a larger diameter than the '50-'53 Ford/Merc narrow belt cast iron pulleys. You probably have an aluminum front cover that should have two positions for the timing pointer to accommodate both style pulleys. Simply remove the cover and change the timing pin to the higher outer position, which will have a small round mark 3/8" away that needs to be drilled. :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

5. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Thanks Bob. You just saved me a bunch of dough. Have the same issue and was trying to sort it out.

God I love this place. Where else can you sit down for the 5 minutes you have before you leave for work and get an answer to something that kept you up all night. Should have searched before I went to bed.

Viva la HAMB!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!