Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead one piece front main/timing cover seal install???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51farmtruck, Nov 1, 2008.

1. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Hi, my question is do you have to drop the pan in order to install a one piece main/timing cover seal on a 40' flathead?

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My guess would be yes.

3. Yes, key word, one peace. That is one of the reasons I gave up on Ford Flat Heads in the 50's. You spent a lot of time taking them a part for just a small item. Try replacing a through out bearing on a 1948 and back to 1928.

4. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Don't use it! I used the supposedly inferior rope seals on two motors with no leaks..........then I thought I was getting smart and bought Speedway's one piece crank seal..........dripped slightly from day one when I started the engine...........

You have to take off the cam cover, drop the pan, and if you're unlucky enough that your engine is installed, how are you going to get the crank pulley off without pulling the radiator?

I'd say leave it alone and use the rope seals........just my experience.....

CB

5. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Thanks for the info. I was going to use that speedway one piece seal, but now I am seriously thinking it over. Thanks Sam

6. jetmek

jetmek

you might be able to sqeeze it between the crank and pan when you get the pulley off. on the later 8ba with the sleeve on the crank...no. make sure you install a speedy sleeve on the pulley with some epoxy to seal the oil return grooves othewise your wasting your time.