Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead oilpan interchange question (technical)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phartman, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I am running a rebuilt 21-stud flathead from a '36 Ford in my '34 Pickup. We pulled the pan in order to send out the flywheel for resurfacing. While the rebuild on the motor was nicely done some time back by the previous owner, the oil pan looks kind of rough. There are a couple old repairs (to cracks and dents) that look like they were patched with lead body filler. And the dipstick has been relocated to accomodate the headers he was running, but the job isn't very neatly done.

What other year oil pans will interchange with the one I have? Are the '32-'36 pans unique to these motors, or will later years swap? What later year(s), if any, will swap?

As long as the pan is off, I'd like to replace it with something in a little better shape.

Thanks for your guidance.

And here's a link to the build page if you'd like to take a look at the work we're doing.

http://gallery.pagecustoms.com/album18

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

1935-1948 interchange ('32-4 lack the ventilation outlet). Some prewar pans have various simple baffles for particular oil pump setups that may need trimming to clear whatever you have. All from 1935 will take same dipsticks and tubes.

3. Thanks, Bruce. Tried to PM you with the question, but your mailbox overfloweth! Posted on Fordbarn.com and was told that anything through '47 might possibly work. One of the guys there has the same '36 L-B motor, and posted a pic of it with the '47 2-piece truck pan. Nice. More and more stuff coming out about the 21 stud motor. I like 'em. Thanks for your help here. I'll let you know what we figure out.

[​IMG]

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Pan shown is for truck with 11" clutch dropout...now modestly valuable.

5. Tom-MI

Tom-MI

One nice thing about the two-piece pan is that it makes pan removal "somewhat" easier while the engine is still in the car. However, it still is a nasty job.

Tom

6. New info from a discussion worth mentioning....

A buddy of mine pointed out that the most important point about swapping pans on these early motors is to make sure that if the pan that comes off is vented, make sure the one that goes on in its place is also vented.

How do you know if a 21-stud pan is vented? Look at the front of the pan on the passenger side. There is a little "box" about the size of a matchbox at the front. If you run your finger around it (if it's still in a vehicle) you'll find it's hollow.

That box vents the block (the other vent is on the top of the motor). Gotta have both.

Very easy to swap in a non-vented pan.

Early PCV, in a sense.