Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead lower rad hose replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Iceberg

Iceberg

just changed my water pump and want to install new lower rad hoses. I had to destroy mine to get them off. They were heavy wire filled and were not very pliable. I have a '46 59A in a '35 pickup. What type of hose should I use in this unpressurized system? My upper hoses are reinforced with cord and are very pliable. Any sources? NAPA?

2. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

I have no wire in my hoses, just short straight ones in the bottom. Works Ok and its a short distance and i have never heard of anyone needing special lower hoses

3. fatfender

fatfender

got mine at napa measure my old one they had one 4' long cut mine off i'm try to get # and measurement of top one do you have that

4. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

I've found that soaking the hoses in near-boiling water for five minutes or so makes them a LOT more pliable and easier to install.

--Matt

5. Mike

Mike

Yep, Deuce Rails' suggestion of soaking the hoses in very hot water is a good one. It always works for me.

6. Put a little grease on each hose end. And it slips right on.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Most flathead lower hoses are extremely short with only a small gap between iron and radiator.If this is your situation, just measure from an inch or so past the rib on each side and get that much cut off.
    On my '48, installation looks nearly impossible. The drill is to fold the hose in half, nearly flattening it and requiring some sweat and bad language. Then push the thing down towards the two nipples it is to fit over, open ends down, folded hump up. Push and swear for a while, then with bloody finger stumps, screw drivers, and one of those hook tools gradually work the squashed ends open and on to their destinations.
    If the gap between the metal parts is short, like about the diameter of hose or less, stiffening should not be needed. If there is a lengthy gap, think about one of those support springs. Lord knows how you'd wrestle it in.
    The need for support comes from the suction on the lower hoses from the pump. A soft hose can be actually sucked flat when the pump speeds up, causing rapid overheating. This is why many lower hoses come with those springs.

8. Andy

Andy

I used 49-54 lower hoses with my 59AB in a deuce. The water outlet/engine connection positions should be near the same as you have. The later hoses have a molded S shape that fits pretty good.