Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead intake i.d. ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by h.i., Nov 1, 2020.

1. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Hi all
    This intake came on an old 34 sedan I picked up. I don't think its going to see the road again but we are curious if anyone recognizes the brand. no markings of any kind. the rear carb riser has a weird shape to it, etc. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

catdad49 likes this.
  2. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

The intake manifold you have is a Johnson. I believe they were made in Chicago Illinois. There was a short writeup about these intakes in either Rod & Custom or Hot Rod magazine quite a few years ago that these intake manifolds were designed for fuel economy rather than performance. The rear carb mount has a weird shape to it because part of it has broken off for some unknown reason.
    I just dug out the Johnson intake I have and there may be a small round logo just in front of the front carb mount that says " Central Pattern and Foundry Co. Chicago". Some of these intakes had that logo and some didn't.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    catdad49, Deuces and Jet96 like this.
  3. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

You may well be correct as to the brand "Johnson". But, I had one of those a few years ago, was told it was a "Johnston" by a fellow from England. He also said he had seen them go for six hundred to two thousand dollars. I sold mine for $600.00 and the buyer/collector was very eager to get it. It was in good shape though, cast iron, no name. Must be very rare although also very ugly in my opinion. Eddie

4. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Ha, thank you for the info! I meant funny shape as in it doesn't match the front riser and looks almost like it could have had a base for a 4 bolt carb. Something big fell on the car and broke the carb off. There are big dents in the firewall, roof, and radiator. Here is the car it was on:

image0.jpeg

Smiffy, catdad49, Squablow and 2 others like this.

5. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Eddie, you could be right about the spelling on the intake. I would have to go through literally hundreds of old magazines to find that writeup again about these intakes, just to get the correct spelling.

6. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

I found a post in the old rare flathead intakes thread on here. It is Johnston. Mystery solved as always. Thanks again!
    img399.jpg P7080009.jpg

7. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

I just noticed that all pics. shown appear to be aluminum. I know that I'm old but I remember mine as being cast iron. Not sure, but also remembering that the venturi without heat being to the rear rather than front. Maybe the Lincolns were different.

8. Deuces

Deuces

Damn!... What a shame.....:(