Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead id question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnny bondo, Jun 11, 2011.

1. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i know this block is a pre war block around late 30s. but i did a search and couldnt come up with an exact. engine came out of a 37.

there is a number cast on the bell near the front that reads "802" or "B02" its hard to tell. looks like a 24 stud, with divers bell with the big coil on top. there is also a stainless tag riveted to the bell on the drivers side that reads "c30" or "030", and "c20" or "020" its hard to say, also a serial number below those.

2. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

nobody? really?

3. Look on the right rear corner of the machined surface where the intake would bolt down. If you can make out the stamped letters/#'s, that could be converted to a build date.
    RB

4. Do you have any pictures, Johnny?

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

yeah ill go snap some, it was all rainy when i posted this and its outside.

6. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

nevermind im dumb, its a 21 stud head, cast iron heads, with plugs on the oil pan rail, and insert bearings. im pretty sure its a 37.

7. 1936Fordroadster

1936Fordroadster

8. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

i guess it could be. the only difference is the "large holes" with the heads off. i dont know what holes they are referring to but it does seem to have larger holes on bottom where the water goes.

oh also i think the stainless tag was put on by an engine rebuilder. a few of the cyinders were sleeved. the sleeves came out when i tried popping the pistons out. engine turned over nice, its too bad it had a huge hole in the side....