Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead headgasket tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DICK SPADARO, May 26, 2011.

1. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Well the model B Pickup had a leak in the head gasket and I had to do a little maintenance so this turned out to be a little tech tip..

Like any good flathead there is always an issue installing new head gaskets, the pre punched stud holes just don't seem to always line up correctly and one or two studs drag on the gasket during installation.

Well this is the easy simple cure for that, first attempt a dry installation to determine which studs drag on the gasket and mark with a felt marker the offending studs. Then using your handy step drill at the 1/2" step just burnish the hole out and "walla" the gasket just drops right on. This works with steel, copper or composition gaskets and eliminates the fight to install the gasket and possible bending or tearing.

Attached Files:

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Nice tip :)!
    Delivered my 1.2mm copper plate today, so they could jet out some solid sets for me. Figure i will get aprox. 4-5 sets pluss 2 inntake gaskets out of it:)

Taildragger&fenderless

3. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Thats good to know Ol Deuce

4. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Nice tip, thanks! I love my step drills.