Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Head ID Help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dcadwell, Dec 1, 2014.

1. dcadwell

dcadwell

I did a search and didn't find an answer. I acquired these aluminum heads and I'd like to know their history if possible. Cast in the top is "Made in USA" and "FORA". Stamped on the gasket surface is "Perfection". Neither in the pair has any additional markings. The combustion chamber dimensions and volume is nearly identical to a pair of 81A heads I have. They had been bead blasted at some point but they appear to have been used very little or not at all. Are they Ford "replacement" heads? Thanks for your help!
    DSCF1915.JPG DSCF1913.JPG DSCF1912.JPG

2. don't know but they're cool....

3. I'm guessing they are aftermarket replacement heads. Not a Ford part, hence the "FORA".....

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The "For" part is clearly the manufacturer's code for the application of this aftermarket head, and I think the "a" part is too...most 81A heads were marked only with "A" on the front, and this matches your CC finding nicely.
    Only one small water hole per side also marks them as made early on, like 1938, because ford added more holes on later 81 heads...they had to add hole for hot water heater in 1939, then different threading for electric gauge later on, etc.
    Presumably the hole is tapped and made with the inner step to take the '38-39 tube type gauge.

5. dcadwell

dcadwell

Thanks for the information. The heads do have the inner step for the tube type gauge. I remember hearing somewhere that there are adapters available for the early heads to use the later NPT style gauge. Anyone know the source?

These heads will be a good match to the '41 block I'm building up.

Thanks again.