Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead guys...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McFly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. McFly

McFly

I have an 8ba that I swapped the side loader trans for a toploader, in doing so I had to get the bell housing adapter from a flathead powered truck of corresponding years 49-53. Question is: since all this bolts right up like it should, can I use the same starter that I pulled off of it when it was a sideloader. When I wired it and bumped it over it kinda sounds like shit. I know it's in there right....do flathead starters just sound kinda bad or should I be getting a different starter. BTW the starter worked when I got the whole motor....I heard the motor run, but it's been to long (3 years) to remember what it sounded like when it started. Newbie with the flathead help please. Thanks.

2. jetmek

jetmek

some bellhousing starter plates mount the starter at a slight angle.not sure what the correct combo of parts is, but you should compare your old and new plates to make sure there is no difference in the starter mounting

3. McFly

McFly

Yeah I've got the right starter plate...how can I make sure it's not rubbing? Do these things just sound like the gears aren't disengaging?

4. Crestliner

Crestliner

Your starter plate should have a off set where the starter mounts.

5. McFly

McFly

BTW, I thought I had to use the bellhousing starter plate for the toploader combo. I don't have my sideloader and starter plate anymore. Are the starter plates different? Do I need to use a sideloader starter plate instead?

6. jetmek

jetmek

there are at least 3 different bellhousings i know of. stamped car,cast truck and cast with large tin bottom and holes for mounting trans with 4 ears. mixing parts will cause starter trouble. also , trans mounts the same on 1st 2, side or top shift dont matter.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

8. McFly

McFly

Thanks Ernie! This should help me get to the bottom of things.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And all '32-53 221-239-255 starters fit except '51-53 automatic, which has a mounting ear or two to ID it.

10. McFly

McFly

Bruce, I guess what I'm trying to ask is: I have the truck bellhousing and what I thought was a truck starter plate, but I just discovered that I was sold a 49-51 passenger car starter plate with the truck bellhousing. Do I need to find a truck starter plate so it does not have the slight angle were the starter mounts? Could I be getting grinding from the angled passenger car plate? Could I pie cut the passenger plate so I get a flat level mounting surface? Are truck plates hard to come by? And to throw this in to the mix, will a 49-51 Merc starter plate work better than a truck plate...I noticed that the merc one is flat and has the same exact shape as the passenger car as appossed to also needing the dust cover with the truck plate? Is everyone thoroughly confused yet?:eek:

11. McFly

McFly

BTT...anyone got a 48-52 truck starter plate for sale? Mercury 49-51? Anyone? Bueller?