Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead guys: please help me...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fonti, Oct 21, 2009.

1. fonti

fonti

I want to "go back" from SBC to Flathead for my roadster (with a T-5) and could buy this engine brandnew. He claims that this combo should be good for 160 horses.
    What do you think? Are these parts ok and do they "fit together"?
    [​IMG]

Parts list:
    block,ported and relived,exterior surfaces ground smooth,new cam bearings fitted, opened up to 3 5/16",hot tanked, full flow oil system modified,
    edlebrock heads,
    Eddie meyer hi rise manifold,
    2 brand new stromberg 97`s,
    new oil pump,
    new 59a sump, powder coated,
    4" crank,
    set of new 8ba rods,
    new Egge pistons and rings,
    stainless steel valves,
    Iskenderian Max 1 camshaft,
    Iskenderian valve spings and lifters,shims,collets.
    new valve guides,
    new canadian timing cover,
    mallory electronic distributor,
    hi torque mini starter,
    powergen polished alt/gen,
    stainless wire looms,
    stainless bolt kit,
    new head stud kit,
    copper big bore head gaskets, full gasket set,
    1 piece crank seal,
    flywheel,
    speedway uprated water pumps,
    new engine mounts,
    fenton headers,
    new fuel pump,
    new fuel pump push rod,
    hilderbrand oil filter and lines,
    8ba fan and bracket,
    chrome acorn nut cover set,
    set of new plugs,
    new timing gears,

Thanks for your feedbacks!! Peter

2. alchemy

alchemy

new 59a sump, powder coated

How can you use an early oil pan on a later (has the little water holes above the pump) block? Or is this a French block?

Do you know how to assemble and fit all these parts?

3. Mart

Mart

Looks like a French block - it has exhaust studs.. There's another 4" French motor on the floor. Don't recognise the workshop but I'm thinking it could be in the UK.
    Peter, the list looks good to me.
    You need to weld up the little road draft fitting at the front of the 59A sump. The distributor will need a recurve if everything you read about them is true.
    Mart.

4. Mart is correct about the Mallory - a lot of them came with an SBC advance curve which is way too much for a FH. Mine did.

Looks like that combo should put out around that HP, although the Isky Max 1 cam I feel would be pretty mild for a 3 5/16" x 4" combo.

Although the Meyer intakes look good, I believe theyre not the best for fuel distribution - perhaps an offy super dual would be better for this combo but then you'd have to mount that nice Powergen elsewhere hehe.

Looks like a nice package - worth ditching the SBC for haha !

Rat

5. KB88

KB88

Can you get 400 horsepower out of a flathead? I read that someone reversed the intake and exhaust ports for more power - how do you do that?

6. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

You never mentioned cost so I assume you are good with it, the setup looks fantastic and should produce around the HP you mention. No matter how you cut it your ride will look right with the flattie. Roadsters just need to run flatheads IMHO.

7. HD74

HD74

I agree.

8. fonti

fonti

it's a French block - I would not assemble it myself, the engine builder does that for me.

@31ACoupe: it's around 7K without assembling, a whole lot of money (at least for me) but I think worth it.

@ rat bastard: yeah the cam... but if you ask 10 people you get 12 opinions - thought about a 400jr. but that's too much, or?

@all: thanks for your opinions. I'm still not sure what to do. Could either build this engine or upgrade it to around 190 horses with the possibility to add a supercharger later... but thats another 4K!!

9. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I vote for Potvin 3/8 !

10. fonti

fonti

is the 400jr too much "race"?

11. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

no, Just a bad design( this is my option)

12. I run an Litterio L100 - great sounding and performing cam imo.

Never ran a Jnr, but have heard plenty - the L100 just sound that much nicer to me but hey, opinons etc....

She runs hard with the 4-71, but still ran/sounded really well without the blower. Cam Tecniques in Sarasota, Fla can help you out with a regrind on your stock cam.

Rat

13. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

You go to a blower, and Id be intereted in the eddie intake. Just an option :D. Looks great though, even nicer in a roadster.

14. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

$7 grands seems cheap since the new cranks are $700 and the ported french blocks are $3500 new. Strombergs new are $450 each.

15. ventilo

ventilo

plus a brand new PowerGen! This combo will run on 12 Volts negative ground I assume ?
    7k whatever in Euros, Swiss Francs, Dollars or even Pounds seems reasonable to me as well for a ready to run drop in unit.

Be sure to check firewall clearance if running a non machined French block in an early Ford V8 body. Not all French blocks are identical in this area. Mine was a perfect fit, but tight.

16. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Cool discussion!
    I like it.
    The L100 has good ramps but i don`t like the 108° lobe centers...

I will try a 114° lobe center cam with 270° and 0,4 inch lift.........
    We will see!

17. fonti

fonti

it's 7K$ till now..of course it's gonna be a bit more, some bits and pieces here and there and the transport to Switzerland...

Firewall should be ok, it's "just" a Brookville body with modified firewall - the SBC has enough space now.

18. reefer

reefer

Fonti..did you buy the motor ?...I thought I recognised it...here it is before I sold it to Jim...
    [​IMG]

19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

is the 400jr too much cam--if you drive it on the highway, the midrange and top end is fantastic. around town it's not much to write home about unless you're geared low enough.

20. Geeeeez, theres my old Marchal headlights again. I think they have been all over the UK by now.................................................... By ParcelForce :D