Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead fuel pump push rod ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NorwegianV8, Apr 29, 2005.

1. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

i know there is a lot of different lenght on these
    but i guess they lift the same ?

how much ?? do they lift thats my Question

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Lift is determined by the cam--I think minimum spec is something like .2-.25 inch, but I'll look that up. 1933-48 come in two lengths differing by one inch. Look at the back of your intake where the pump stand attaches--from memory, manifold for short rod is about an inch or slightly less thick back there, long is about two inches tall (3.7 hectares in your terms).

3. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

is this where you mean the measure is differing by one inch ??

Attached Files:

• fuel.jpg
      fuel.jpg
      File size:
      49.5 KB
      Views:
  4. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

Sorry wrong pic :p

Attached Files:

5. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I think he's talking about what area your fuel pump stand sits on.....the back most area on the rear of the intake. Some are not as tall as yours. However, your's is a 49 up style.......longer pump rod???? He'll have to answer that.

EDIT: I think we posted at the same time...

6. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

I know i got a 8ba but i'm not shure they got a longer push rod ?

i know for a fact they differing by atleast one inch also

7. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Are you wanting to know the lift so you'll know the difference in the length of the rods? Or, do you want to know the over-all length? I can go measure my 49-53 Merc one if you need me to.

8. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

33-48 only in two lengths ??
    am i misunderstanding you or??
    i got a shit load of different push rod's in various lengths and i am shure there is atleast 5 different lengths

i also heard one time that the 8ba was thicker than the earlyer but i not shure of that anymore ??

Attached Files:

9. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

i want to know ewerything i want to be the push rod king :D

no realy my goal was to know the lift
    i was not shure if that was determined by the cam

but as long as you guys answering al my stupid Q's i listen

10. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I just called my grandpa. From memory (he said he has his shop all closed down) that the 49-53 style didn't have the little umbrella and that he thinks they are thicker in diameter also. He said he never had any length issues with fuel pump rods and the 49 up engines. He only ever ran into 2 different lengths for the 48 and back. However, he didn't want to say this absolutely about the 32. He said they were oddballs.

We'll he just called back and said he was going to go measure them....

Also, he wants to put a disclaimer on your other rods. He's not sure about stuff made over-seas......said he's seen some stuff from out of the States the would prove him wrong in the past....

From the looks of your pic and from his info. I would go out on a limb to say that none of your rods are for a 49 up......if they are the same diameter.

Lancaster just ran down to the library to verify all of this! :D

11. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

The longest one in the pick was pulled out of my 8ba 30 minutes ago and the rest of the ones in the pick is US made
    been laying in Norway since the 50's

12. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

He hasn't called me back yet. I'm gonna go take my fuel pump off of my merc......

No, I'd like to settle this issue, I've always been curious. Between all of us, I think we can put it down- Lancaster, you, my gramps, and other HAMBrs....

13. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

14. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Grandpa still hasn't called back....

The one with the umbrella measures 8 7/8". It could pass for 9". I know it looks like it's longer according to the pic but it isn't. I didn' have the other end flush with the end of the tape measure. This one I pulled out of my 59AB real quickly.

The one with NO umbrella measured 10 1/8" on the money.... It's on a 49-53 Merc. but the intake was changed to run it in a bigger truck.

For those others to work, that intake would almost have to be recessed.....???

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hokay--two USA rods '33-48...two 1932 rods, no umbrellas.
    England, Germany, France--many models used non-US carbs and pumps, different manufolds...so probably lengths out there I've never seen--then, the late French Flathead used early type pump in 8BA derived block.
    So, I betcha lots of rods. I have Canadian, Australian, and early German books. Very little English--non of these cover the military stuff OR the many flatheads made worldwide after US production stopped!
    Send any #'s you have--they can at least be ID ed by nationality!
    Oh, yeah--V8 ^0's after the first oddball model (elec pump) used a tiny umbrella rod here, but again that Engine was made much more overseas than here--so I bet there are strange British and French 60 rods I've never seen.
    Lately I've been hunting foreign Ford catalogs...maybe someday I'll know...

16. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Grandpa just called and he got the same basic measurements as I did. Some of his he had welded a little tip on, some he welded a nut on so he could put a bolt in and get the adjustment he needed, some have a little aftermarket cap on them for make up for some of the wear they experienced......

33-48 two sizes: basically 8" and 9"
    49-53 one size
    all of this is American and not 1932 or V860 info....

Maybe someone else can add something....

17. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

Thanks guys

i found the measurements in the 'big green' right now :rolleyes:
    6 different push rods from 32-48

and last night i opened 2 differetn 8ba.......2 different push rods:eek:
    i'm going to open the 8rt industrial for the fun of it

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I still see only two '33-48--those 52 numbered ones were for the post-35 V8 60, and are the size of roofing nails...

There has to be another secret one for 1934, presumably replaced entirely by the other two, which both bear 1935 numbers. I can check a 1934 book on that.
    I'd bet the odd length ones in the '32-48 diameter will prove to be either European ones run with solex or whatever pumps or British/Canadian ones from Bren carriers or something.
    I don't know much about 8BA hardware, but I think we only had one pushrod length for all versions of those--maybe the odd one is French, for use with early stand/8B block??
    This is why I'm always looking for non-USA Ford books--there's lots of neat Ford stuff we never see, and it sounds like you have it all!!

19. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

So which one do I need to run a early intake on a late block?

20. NorwegianV8

NorwegianV8
    from Sem City

Sorry
    did not se (understand):rolleyes: the v8-60 part you wrote untill now.
    my english is probably not the best.......(lots of sleeping in scool)

the 2 push rod that is suposed to be the right ones is
    48-9400-a &48-9400-b right ?
    8.872" long & 7.872"

going to open one more 8ba in a few days that will be #4 that is us made,
    so far i got 2 differten lenghts but the same thickness as the 32-48
    oh well....

oh yess i got plenty odd Ford parts
    i belive i'm the only one that collect these stupid parts.
    But hey as long as it got a Ford # or says Ford i'm keeping it:p

Thanks

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

2 differten lenghts but the same thickness as the 32-48...

USA 8BA's are all thicker than early--the thicket of differences continues to grow...

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

So which one do I need to run a early intake on a late block?

Ain't no stock answer here, since '49 uses a thicker and longer rod that early.
    I think Norwegian V8's furrin oddball ones fill the bill...
    But for stuff you can actually ge here, I'd say the courses I would consider would be:
    A. Get an industrial supply catalog and buy (or get cut on a lathe) a bushing to go between '49 bushing and '48 push rod, or:
    B. Cut a '49 pushrod to needed length (go a tad long and tune with gaskets on stand), cutting so you keep the end sections as the steel in contact. You'll also need little cup thing from a '49 rocker arm.
    That's off the top of my head--I've never done this swap.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

OK maybe someone can explain the different height fuel pump stands on these pre-war Eddie Meyer intakes. The vendor said some idiot ground off the logo on the top one so he sold it cheap...er. I later found the bottom with the logo. I was surprised to notice the difference. Did he make 2 bases for different years?

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Those look like they fit the two different lengths of '33-48 pushrods, which differ by one inch. Some people refer to them as being for aluminum (short) or iron manifolds (long), which partially fitss reality on stockers.