Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead ford questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heyitsnate, Nov 7, 2011.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Can anyone help me I.d. This cam based on the stamping? I'm aware 5t is a stock cam, but was common for regrinds. Are the numbers stock? I'm curious because this motor has a relieved valve area, adjustable lifters , and it's bored .60 w/ a 4" stroke. new to the flathead v8, and would love some guidance! oh yeah it's a 59a 1948 ford near as I can tell.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

it also came with this tag from the machine shop. I plugged these #'s into the google machine, and it said these were 49-53 bearing sizes. Is this accurate , and what are the benefits to this? Thanks- nate
    [​IMG]

3. Heo2

Heo2

4" mercury crank is 49-53 before that
    it had same crank as ford

4. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

got it. Done to fit the 4" crank...any ideas on the cam #'s?

5. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

any flathead guys around? Sorry, I know it's not " what color should I paint my car" or "should I chop and bag this?"

6. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

You have a 4" merc crank. the bearing sizes were the same merc and ford 49-53. its been fitted into an early block, which was pretty common. it will have 8BA style rods, and merc pistons. as for the cam..take it out and go to a good cam grinder, they can run it on the profile machine and tell you the specs.you could then cross reference it to known grinds.
    I think the 2843 was stamped in by the regrinder, usually they just have 5T.

7. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Thank you man, good info. a buddy of mine that owns a machine shop in napa said there were a few guys that used specific stamps on their regrinds, and someone may recognize the grinder by the stamp...the motor has a helmet style dizzy, and stock heads and intake. It's curious.

8. flatjack

flatjack

I've got a listing for a 2842 cam from Clay Smith. Could be a grind variation.