Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Ford pistons. What did you use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50shoe, Oct 12, 2009.

1. 50shoe

50shoe

I need to get a set of pistons for my motor. I've done a bit of research here and elsewhere but I'm still confused as to piston is best.

These 'antique' engines can be tough. If it was SBC a nice quality set of pistons would be easy to figure out, but where is the fun in that? :)

Motor is going in a 50 ford, kind of heavy car. Its a merc, max1 cam, haven't decided on the heads yet, but I have a a set of EABs and was considering a set of offys if just for looks.

so its not a race motor, but I would like it to be durable and of course have a bit more punch than a stock merc. but I also know this is NOT going to be a fast car.

I also like to use forged v cast pistons when possible, but I'm not sure how important that is either.

so three ring pistons? four ring like stock? is there any point in using 4 rings anymore?

are the ross worth the $ for this application?

egge? are they OK or will they hit the heads?

TRW? they still make a forged piston at a good price, but I've heard bad stuff about some of their products coming from offshore.

and what about speedway's pistons?
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Produ.../12/2009 6:02:25 PM=flathead+pistons&deptId=0

who makes those? anybody used them?

there are about 1000 threads about flathead cams on here but not one dedicated to pistons!?!? sure its not as sexy as a cam, but come on! or does it just not matter?

2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in 1955----JAHN'S PISTONS

3. I bought a set of the Ross forged pistons, but I'm building a blown flathead, any set of cast pistons should work for your application. just decide what size you want and get them... three ring should be fine as well.

4. flatoz

flatoz

Got Ross forged pistons, blown motor, but for the small amount of $$ extra if I was building anything mild up I would use them, I just think their worth every cent.

5. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

You will need the merc pistons of course and depends on your build as to size. If you are going with EAB heads consult supplier as to dome. People have preferences, I like the 4 ring pistons myself.

6. 50shoe

50shoe

thanks guys. I will most likely get a set of the ross slugs. for the extra $ spent it sounds like you get a quality product.

Chris

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

There's a thread running now about Egge pistons not being what they used to be. Nobody has commented on Speedway's pistons.

Jahns are heavy. Hard to find these days as well, but they do pop up on eBay occasionally. Many are still 4-ring pistons too!

The Ross are forged - overkill for all but a blown flatty, but...

8. 50shoe

50shoe

I've read the egge thread. funny thing is that my machinist says egge has vastly improved over the last few years. he was surprised to hear the story of them hitting heads.

I'm going to order in a set of 4 ring federal mogul forged jobbies, and if they look good I will use them. if no I will spring for the Ross. the advantages of being an auto parts supplier. :)

I'm skeptical on the quality of the speedway units, as many are I'm sure.

9. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

hat about silverlite? I see those pop up on that other site ( ebay) at times

10. banjorear

banjorear

For the extra cash (I got mine for $365 with rings) I'd go with Ross.

They got their shit down so tight that my machinist didn't need the piston to do the intitial bore. I thought (and told him so) that sounded crazy. He said all he needed was the spec. sheet that they enclosed in the box.

He called them, gave them to job # (or somthing like that) and went with the numbers they provided him.

I didn't beleive him. He told me to bring a piston down and he'll check it against the specs they had on record. He said in all of his years using their pistons they haven't been wrong.

Would you know it, the specs were dead nuts on the money. For the extra $70 over any cast/hyper piston set that is out there, I feel you can't beat their quality.

Plus, if you hone your motor with a torque plate you can run a clearance pretty close to a cast piston. That misinformation about needing to run super large clearances with a forge piston isn't the case with Ross slugs.

Good luck.

11. I just finish a engine for a friend and used the speedway pistons. The engine was balance and the pistons were only off a few grams. They seam to be a good bang for the buck. They come with the pins and locks. They fit the stock heads.

12. flatjack

flatjack

Last ones I got from Speedway were Egge.

13. HD74

HD74

3 5/16 Ross piston in french flattie 4 1/8 crank.

14. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Ross is the way to go.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Absolutely Ross. All the flatheads I have had done for customers have used those slugs. Get the fit right and they are bulletproof.

16. For my flathead Merc, the first pistons were new Jahns. They came back from the balancing shop with a note that said they were too far apart in weight to balance.
    Replaced them with Ross. Perfect.

17. I recently bought a complete flathead engine kit from Flatlander Racing, they seem to be knowledgeable and have competitive pricing, and different options for your engine. Their number is 603-378-0090 flatlanderracing.com

18. mottsrods

mottsrods

I prefer Egge for a stock flathead, and Ross for a bored, built, or blown one. So far, i've had none that have let me down.

19. bobscogin

bobscogin

I just bought the parts to rebuild my '42 Merc engine from Red's Header's. Told them what my plans for the build were, told them I was trusting their reputation and knowledge to give me quality parts, and left the decision to them. The pistons I received were Silvolite. The engine's not assembled and running yet, so unfortunately I can't give an opinion on the pistons. The point is, I chose a vendor with flathead experience and a good reputation, and then put the ball in their court.

Bob

20. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I vote ROSS.
    nice stuff.

21. I would go with Ross pistons - seems they are the best overall and have stayed pretty much the same over time.

As for your head option, JWL on the Fordbarn.com has a book out that has done some extensive testing on flatheads and what hop up items work and what does not, even EAB heads vs aluminum heads. Seems the EAB heads flow as well as aluminum heads (although they do not look nicer) in their stock form.

Also, these items seem to work best for HP, in order of what should be done - all testing was on an 8BA flattie and pulls were done at WOT:

- shave heads 050
    - mutiple carbs - high rise like theThickstun work best
    - hotter ignition
    - cam upgrade

If you get the book you'll see that the more expensive upgrades are more towards the bottom of the list and other than the sound, headers do actually nothing for HP in a flattie. Henry was right on in many aspects of the stock flattie when it comes to performance. There are other items he lists and I may have the last 2 reversed (I'm doing this from memory) but it is a great book and something the budget minded flathead builder should have in his/her library.

22. banjorear

banjorear

JWL's book is a must have for any flathead person. Real world data, no B.S. or hyped numbers

23. I certainly agree, banjorear.

Here is the contact person to get a copy of the book - [email protected].

Good luck and keep us posted ....

24. flat 39

flat 39

I have Speedway pistons and a Scat 4" crank. There was only about .030" Piston to head clearance with stock 8BA heads and Best gasket. The guy that ballanced the crank had to add heavy metal to the counter weights to get it to ballance. I think that was more to do with the crank than the pistons.

25. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

there is no comparison to Ross pistons. the next set i order will be with plasma rings[thinner, less drag].

26. 53Crestline

53Crestline

Interesting...I ordered up most of our rebuild parts from Mac's... valve assembly and everything. The pistons are four-ring as well...no idea what brand though... might be worth a look into...

27. Riccardo

Riccardo
    from Italy

Ross forged in a bored and stroked blown french flat