Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Ford Performance Head Article

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleetwood, Oct 3, 2006.

1. fleetwood

fleetwood

Does any body out there remember what car magazine publised a comparison article for the performance heads available for f/h fords about a year ago? They compared Sharpe, Edelbrock, Motorcity, and a few others on the bench and dyno. I'm goin' through all my old magazines and can't find it.
    Thanks

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It was probably street rodder. All my mags are packed up for my move & I won't have access to them for another month or more, so can't help. I'm sure it was probably done with Joe Abbin, so if you get in touch with him, he might be able to shed some light on it..

3. I remember the article. I also think it was in Street Rodder. At least 2-3 years ago.

One thing I do remember is that the best combination included the lesser ISKY cam and Sharp heads.

4. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

It was more than a year ago. The issue you want is "Street Rodder", July 2004, Vol. 33, Issue No. 7. It is the start of the Ron Ceridono series, "One More Flathead". It ran from July 2004 through January 2005. I think they skipped the December issue. Joe Abbin provided the tech comparison of the Offenhauser, Edelbrock and Sharp heads. It was a computer simulation of the bore and stroke Ron planned on using based on Joe's flow bench work. The January 2005 issue gave the dyno results of the actual build.

If you want more flathead aluminium head comparisons check out the paperback book by Mike Davidson, "How to Build the High Performance Street Flathead". Mike is from the Land of Oz (Australia) and has done a lot of flow bench work with flatheads. This book is good as it gives cam lift and cfm flow data for a variety of different heads, both new and old, and includes pictures of the combustion chambers and the top of the heads. His opinion of the Sharp head is different than Joe's. No two experts are going to believe the same thing. Most agree Barney Navarro was the best flathead expert. H&H has the rights to build his stuff, now.

Remember that the head, how the block is ported, what kind of block relief and if you use center cylinder exhaust port dividers will all influence how much horsepower your flathead developes. And each combination is different.

The other area you will want to think about is how you plan to relieve the block. The other area of great controversy and no two experts agree on how much and where.

Flatheads! Still controversial after 75 years.

5. fleetwood

fleetwood

6. fleetwood

fleetwood

Thanks To all that helped me find this info. My memory ain't what it used to be