Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead exhaust ideas needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Koolman, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Koolman

Koolman

I have Red's headers for a FH and F1 steering for a 30AV8 on 32 rails. I want to run the exhaust and kick it our just in front of the rear wheels on both sides.

What size pipe can I run from the headers which have an OD of 1.75 inches? I haven't been able to find pipe smaller than 2" OD, would that work?

Do I need to weld flanges onto the headers and pipes to connect, or can I clamp the pipes to the headers?

What mufflers to use, what size and where should I position them?

What have you guys done?
    Thanks,
    DK

2. Koolman

Koolman

Anybody? What have you done?

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Exhaust pipe comes in 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 and even 1 1/2.

I used to run it in 2" but never got that classic flathead sound from the 50s. The customers used to blame the modern glasspacks. I had a customer come in and insist on running 1 3/4" tail pipes on his 51 Merc I didn't stock 1 3/4 so I ordered some....BINGO. It had that classic flathead sound that many of you guys might not recognize or remember. An old timer can tell a flathead from the tail pipes without looking if it has the right size pipes.

2" works up to the mufflers but it will be too quiet if 2" is used all the way to the bumper. I was very disappointed in my 2" exhaust that I built for my 51 Mercury powered sport coupe. Way too quiet and not that classic sound. I used to chase after flathead powered hotrods to ask about their exhaust. I'm very grateful for that customer and his insistence.

4. Koolman

Koolman

Tommy thanks!

I have heard the same. Where did you find 1 3/4 pipe?

5. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

i ran reds headers and smittys with 1 3/4" pipes on my shoebox sounded good once they burned out.poped when you pushed the clutch in at[​IMG] high rpm.i'm running 35 torque tube headers on my roadster.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Any parts store should be able to get it for you. They probably will have to order it. Most only stock the fast moving stuff. You can try a local muffler shop if there are any left.:D

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Torque tubes sound awesome. Ran a set on my T.

8. Koolman

Koolman

onekoolkat did you weld the pipes to the headers or use clamps or flanges?

9. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

i used clamps on my shoebox and my roadster has flanges.i would just slip the pipes over your headers and clamp em',it will be way easier and less expensive.my 2 cents.

10. Koolman

Koolman

Thanks, that is what I was thinking of doing.

11. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

12. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

It may be cheating, but it was quick, easy and cheap. I got some "flex tubing" exhaust pipe (1.75" if I remember right) from my local auto parts store. I then made a simple adapter that bolted up to the manifold and ran it straight through. The pipe itself muffles the noise a bit. It does require a few extra "hangers" to hold it in shape, but I do like the sound of it so much that I'm not going to put on headers or mess with it anymore.
    -Mitch

[​IMG]

13. Koolman

Koolman

Doc thanks for the threads and Napa idea!
    Mitch, neat idea and I love your ride! thanks.
    DK