Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead diff gears

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are contemplating fitting an over drive in the TT which gives a 25% over drive. We presently have 3.54 gears in our 32 banger with a miller over head and lightened fly wheel . First gear is just too tall with the 750x16 rears . The trans is 32 case with 39 gears so presumably first is the std 2.8 ratio.
    In heavy slow traffic it is on the clutch all the time a real PIA. Even going out the gate it wants to race away. In parade speed traffic I imagine the clutch would be fried. The lightened flywheel probably doesn’t help.
    Ok we did drive the 32 around some with the original B4 and my converted 32 trans and for sure first was too tall and on the hills it fell on its face, the new engine has more than twice the power and more torque but still first and even second is too tall , 60 mph travel is a breeze.
    The present thought is to fit the over drive to enable us to cruise at highway speeds easily. And to remove the 3.54 gears and fit 4.11 or 4.44 ( is there a 4.44 set up)I feel the 4.11 ( which I have on hand) will still be too tall at 60 mph the rpm will be 2000 , 4.44 will be 2166 ,all with the 25% overdrive . The cam is happiest near 2500 . It has a scat crank with insert bearings and full pressure oil
    Or are my calculations incorrect?
    Is there a vendor the has 4.4 if such a set exists of gears or even lower ,yes I know speedway has 5.8 or some such but thats getting silly aiming at roundy round racing.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  2. rusty valley

rusty valley

well, i have no tach, but my 34 with the "recommended" 4.11's with a columbia is still wound up at highway speeds. i have always felt the 378's would have been a better choice. i do not live in the mountains, and do not want to race it, so perhaps not the results you wish for. a v8 i should add. and, your light flywheel must certainly be affecting starts, as in my model A bangers i seldom use first gear. only if at a dead stop and on a slight incline. otherwise, if moving at all, its second gear

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any more thoughts?

5. Gregm1

Gregm1

I think the 60 horse flatheads had 4:44 rear gears, if I’m it mistaken.

Kiwi 4d, Moriarity and seb fontana like this.