Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead crankshaft question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael_e, May 17, 2010.

1. Michael_e

Michael_e

I got a 35 flathead v8 cheap. Bad-2 cyls had large holes in them. Already sold the heads to a restorer and got all my money back. I was wondering if i should sell the crankshaft also or keep it. Will a 35 crankshaft which had babbitt main bearings work in a late 36 or 37 style block with insert bearings?

Thanks

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There were once extremely thick main bearings available to allow this, now scarce. The greater rigidity of the later crank is a serious benefit in my opinion. Main diameter went from 1.999 to 2.399.
    The earliest versions of the 1.999 cranks were forged steel, and had actual high RPM power loss due to twisting. This was greatly improved by the stiffer nodular, but adding diameter still seems like a real good idea.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Hey Bruce. Welcome back. We missed you.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hoddy. How do.

Anecdote discovered in an ancient V-8 Times on early cranks: This was taken from the letters section of an old Ford Service type magazine. Source...Mexican stock car racers running V8 Fords on the road!
    The writer reported that his '32 racer needed a new crank. Ford dealer supplied the current (presumably after early 1933) replacement, the nodular iron crank. New crank with no other work added 2 or 3 MPH to his car...these were circa 100 MPH cars as raced. Several of his friends and enemies replicated this. Theory/speculation was that the banger-like flexibiliy of the little steel crank was allowing rear cylinders to cycle out of phase with cam and ignition timing. I would add speculation that the better counterweighting possible with cast crank had something to do with this along with the stiffness of the iron...