Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATHEAD buildup Part 2. flatoz's roadster gets a new heart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatoz, Dec 11, 2006.

1. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks mate,

crakk here we come! that is of course if I manage to get this all sorted. should do so for then at a minimum.

2. jimbob

jimbob

Sam said he hopes you got a decent throttle cable sorted this time;)

3. swifty

swifty

Don't think it's only the throttle cable which needs sorting Jamie cos he's gone to the Kustom Nats in the Audi!!

4. That's gotta suck..

Binga

5. flatoz

flatoz

got the thing running late on friday thanks to peddro for the moral support. it was getting to the stage that the 4lbs hammer was going to come out.

the main issue was the accelerator cable. I do have to come up with a better system. even went to the trouble of turning the carbs around to make the curve on the cable less stressful for it. finally got it sorted in a hap hazard stance , enough to get to the even and to sort it out later.

so decided to do a drive around the block.

started it ( runs good) and put my foot on the clutch and it all went to shit. the throwout bearing was squeeling its head off. so round the block back into the garage and took the daily. worst part is that to get to it I have to take the motor out...

bit dissapointed, came so close. but have lost interest now. it can sit in the shed for this season I think, there are alot of other jobs I have been putting off that really need doing to get this running.

as they say. shit happens.:(

6. jimbob

jimbob

Thats a shame, is it just the bearing?

7. flatoz

flatoz

dont know mate.

also dont know when I will get around to looking.

dont count on me for the CRAKK run now. :mad:

will catch up with you on the dog and bone.

8. jimbob

jimbob

No worries, speak soon.

9. Hang in there . . . been there myself.

Many years ago, when I built my first stroker flathead, just got the thing back together . . . sounded great on test/warmup -- got everything sorted out for the maiden voyage - then oil pressure went to shit. From 30 lbs at idle . . . to about 5. Took the whole motor back out - had to figure out what the hell happened before I wiped out the lower end.

Turned out that the wanker at the machine shop who put the sludge clean-out plugs in the Merc. crank - didn't center punch the plugs in . . . so 2 of them came out with the late model high-pressure pump. Hell, I was 16 and didn't know any better. Luckily the crank/bearings weren't hurt. The next crank I did - had threaded allen plugs in the traps.

Sometimes you get the bear . . . sometimes the bear gets you . . .

Keep us posted . . .

10. Mate,

Really sorry to hear that Corey.

Danny

11. take a breath and let the mind settle.

as much as it hurts, you're almost there.......

Later,

A

12. Hey Corey,

If you need a hand getting the motor in and out, let me know. Happy to do what I can, a few mates might help you get the motor in and out in no time and you in the pilots seat!

Danny

13. Wish I was closer to help too Corey!

14. Corey ya know 1 day and a couple of mates and it could be back on the road............Don't give up now we all need something to aspire to.

Binga

15. flatoz

flatoz

Want and need.

I was thinking about these ideas while walking the neighbours dogs. There are plenty of things we 'want' but do we really 'need' them. I guess it came about from the stone song popping into my head. I cant tell you why, sometimes shit like that happens.

Anyway what I am getting at is it got me to thinking on what I 'want' and what I 'need' and how things have turned out with the roadster this last week.

What I really wanted, was for it all to go back together and their to be no trouble. Well you all know that didnt happen so I didnt get what I wanted. but as the song says, "...if you try some times, ...you get what you need."

So I guess I'm up to the trying part. ( one could say that the last week has been more than 'trying' in its own way). So after spending an hour walking the dogs I came home and decided that I need to to 'try' to get what I 'needed'

this is a bit esoteric I know, but I guess I am in a bit of a philosophical mood having your soul ripped apart by a car will do that too you.

So tonight, I stood in my shed and stared at the light of my motoring life which, on friday , like any good woman ripped my heart to pieces. and decided to get back on the horse metaphorically speaking.

so I started with this.

[​IMG]

and an hour later when my good wife came home from work. I had managed to get to this. blower off, rad removed exhausts unbolted and bellhousing bolts out too. startermotor out and engine mount bolts out too. its pretty much ready to swing out.

[​IMG]

As I started working I remembered what I didnt have to do this time. and all the bits and pieces I could leave on as I just have to shift the motor forward enough to get to the throw out bearing. And all of a sudden it didnt seem that bad. There are still a few things I will need to tackle, like the throttle cable which I have decided to make into a mechanical linkage. Anyone got some photos of setups to give me ideas?

Also I would like to thank Dan, Ben, Frank and Ray for their help last thursday night. I might not have made it in the end. but I most definately wouldnt even have come close without you guys.

the world is returned to its axis:)

16. See it was'nt that bad.
    Now that the world has returned to it's axis I'll be able to sleep tonight.:) :)

Binga

17. If you need an extra pair of hands to help the boys move motors, etc. Tell dan to call me, inm not so far away, and my EK is running...

=]

18. Little bit of a drive to offer you help. Just keep saying "Hot rodding is fun, hot rodding is fun, hot rodding is fun......"

It works every time I'm stuck on the side of the road in East Jockstrap! Like this summer, next thing you know an off duty cop gave me a juimp and then a biker took me to the battery store and next morning I drove home.

Take a deep breath;)

PS, get the OL's timing belt and the water tank done? Don't worry, the honey do list will always be there........

19. walking the dogs is good for the soul....even if they're not your dogs

20. flatoz

flatoz

Hi Dennis,

I guess its best to be stuck in east jockstrap than south buttcrack.:D

got one tank in, got the wifes car done.

now just to get MY car done!:)

21. Hey Corey,

Glad to hear mate! Let me know if you want a hand, I'm free for the next few days...

Danny

22. jimbob

jimbob

Good to hear, so the treck North is back on?:cool:

23. flatoz

flatoz

heres hoping! managed to pull the motor last night and change the throw out bearing and get the motor back in. so alls looking pretty good. I have a few weeks to get everything sorted. so full steam ahead.

24. Go Corey Go

Binga

25. flatoz

flatoz

ta da....

done. well running. couple of small things to sort and a few miles to put on it before the trip to candberra. But I drove it tonight. clutch is heavy but I can live with that. the acceraltor is working well. now just to tune the motor...

will post some photos of it out of the shed tomorrow.

[​IMG]

26. Awesome stuff Flatoz!

27. Wow good stuff champ !! Tried ringin ya but no dice, I figgered ypu had it covered!!

Looks like you also cleaned out the shed !!

Rat

28. flatoz

flatoz

looks can be deceiving cant they.

thanks guys, is good to think that I am nearly there. Just need to get some miles on it and sort a few other small things out that I want to get done. seems to have taken a hell of a lot longer than I wanted.

29. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Looks unreal corey, well done. You should be proud of ya self, not many people would take on a job that big.

I'm thinkin a HAMB BBQ at Bens new joint when dannys is done and we can check out all this new gear-