Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Bellhousings ’49-‘53 Cast or Stamped

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Looking to buy a bellhousing. Probably going to mount a later top loader 4-speed. Or an adapter and Muncie, depending on which I find a better deal on. My understanding is for that the full bellhousings are better than the short bells. Because a top loader will bolt up to the full bell? Other than weight, is there any reason to go with 1 over another?
    Thanks.

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I prefer the 49-51 stamped ones, however the angle of the throw out bearing arm is closer to 7 o-clock and the 52-53 is closer to 9 o-clock. Depending on your application, one might be better than the other. Also bear in mind, the stamped unit has a special starter plate, that corrects the angle, to compensate for the cut back on the lower half of the bell housing. IMG_0680.JPG

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sent you a PM

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1/2 bell (either a Merc steel or a truck cast) with a Model Engineering adapter for a top loader. Had one with a Jeep T-170 shift tower that I was going to put in my '39 p/u with an 8ba but decided to stay with the 3 speed and closed drive line. The MEC adapter was top quality and came with a bushing to use the stock throw out bearing collar. Call Gene at MEC. Hard to get a hold of but absolutely worth it, IMHO.