Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead banjo or Quickchange torque tube driveshafts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DICK SPADARO, Mar 20, 2006.

1. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Ok you greaseballs, Time for some more input before this thing gets into production. I have just finished this part up for you guys installing banjo rears in your hot rod. I am on the last stages of input so there should be no complaints when finished. If you have any suggestions now is the time to speakup.

I have made a universal fit drive shaft for anyone doing a torque tube rear retro fit requiring the drive shaft to be modified. It can be used on any 33-48 Ford banjo or any quickchange that has a common 6 spline jackshaft. No more machine shop trips.

This drive shaft is based upon stock dimensions, fits stock u-joint,speedogear and front bearing. Rear collar fits 6 spline Ford pinion or quickchange jackshaft.

The drive shaft is supplied with the male u-joint end welded to a 60" drive shaft tube. After the length of the drive shaft has been determined and cut to proper lenght the female pinion coupler collar is to be pressed into the end of the tube, then welded in place.

This is a universal part and can also be used if you want to put later 6 spline pinion high speed gears into your 32-36 housings. The design eliminates the need for a carrier support bearing as used in 37-48 torque tubes.

My last question is to see if there are a number of you using 10 spline banjos that just need a drive shaft made up as I can make a 10 spline female collar too.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Simple, yet great idea.
    Thanks from us Flat head nuts.

3. banjorear

banjorear

Dick,

Thank you for your dedication to the hobby. Great idea. Looking forward to your closed drive QC being done.

Most guys I know are running 6 spline rears.

Do you think the closed drive QC unit will be done for Hershey '06?

4. jetmek

jetmek

thats a nice looking product....maybe now there will be a market for that pile of rusty torque tubes ive got out back. i think the majority would opt for the 6 spline option

5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

If one was to rebuild a banjo rear, and replace the crown wheel and pinion, its cheaper and more available to choose a 6 spline pinion replacement, so i'd say a 6 spline is the go.

And I'm saying this as the owner of a 10 spline 4.11 ratio '36 banjo rear.

Is there any way of making either one available - that'll increase the size of you market??

6. myke

myke
    from SoCal

And I just sent mine out to be resplined : (.

7. Mart

Mart

Nice work, Dick, That's a much tidier version of the one I cobbled up from a 32 driveshaft for Old Rusty, my 31A.
    Mart.

8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Any estimate on cost when available. I am getting ready to shorten the '46 shaft for my Model A project. Also, when do you anticipate availibility.
    Thanks
    GV

9. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I would appreciate this as well.

10. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I have 5 banjo rear ends and all are six spline. So that's what I'd be interested in.

How does this fit in the forward bearing in the torque tube? The o.d. of the 60" shaft in the photos looks a lot bigger than the stepped bearing surface on the stock drive shaft.

11. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

The text says it does away with the carrier bearing.
    GV

12. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the continued input. I hope to have driveshafts for the Charlotte Auto Fair at space Blue field ZB/28-30. Pricing available there or by calling the store after 3/25/06. Dick

13. Andy

Andy

I would like one myself. I have been scrounging for parts to build just that. I am worried about the coupling end that you show. I am afraid welding will shrink it to the point that the pinion may not go in. I would increase the length so the welding is past the pinion engagement area. A good length of pilot material would also be nice so the alignment is due to the pilot diameter and not the squareness of the cut of the tube. Thanks.

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

HERO

Great product, Dick. Anyone who has had to shorten a driveshaft or have one shortened should appreciate this.

15. Dick,
    After digging around out back, the 6 spline is what I have found that may be need to be reworked.
    Thanks again for your efforts to help out Hot Rodders.
    Skot

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've just had mine resplined after fitting my quickie, though I've got a Lincoln trans to go in next year so I'll be looking to shorten again. This could well save me some time and hassle.
    Do you think, as Andy just mentioned, that the female end could/should be longer? I've installed mine with a 6-6spline adapter and that was at least 5" long. What length is the female end on yours?

17. arbs1976

arbs1976

I'm wondering if anyone is currently making something like this? Dick passed away, and it doesn't look like speedway has their version anymore either... Thanks!