Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead alternator fit problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedy pete, Jan 18, 2006.

1. speedy pete

speedy pete

Going wide belt on my 8Ba with truck water pumps. I mounted a sling shot for my alternator but the pulleys do not line up.I want to stay with the sling shot mount so it looks like I need to mill the boss and sleeve on the alternator about a 1/2 inch. I hate to screw up a chrome alternator but this looks like my only option. Anyone see a different solution.
    Thanks
    Speedy

2. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

You can't shim the alternator out?

3. 47bob

47bob

My slingshot is offset (front to rear) about 1/2" turn it around if you havn't already. I had to shim mine about 3/16". Hope this helps.......Bob

4. speedy pete

speedy pete

I need to move the alt. pulley in towards the engine to get it to line up.

Speedy

5. 47bob

47bob

Yep same here; used thick washers. Bob

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Just your normal organ rejection.:D

7. NOBILLETA

NOBILLETA

Just finished going crazy with this on my 8ba, with the generic bracket sold by speedway and almost everyone else, I found no way to get perfect allighnment, found a place called Rod and Custom supply (www.rodncustom.com) that has a slingshot and special lengthened pully, It lines everything up perfectly (alt. bolts up to back of bracket). They also have a very trick offset bracket that bolts to the front of the manifold just like a slingshot with a GM style adjustment bar, the offset is on their web page, but you have to call them for the special sling shot. Very nice folks and very flathead knowledgable.

8. speedy pete

speedy pete

Thanks for the advice guys. I called Rod & Custom and they took care of me. I have bracket on order with them that will allow me to mount alt. with no modifcation.

9. 52Flat

52Flat
    from Evans, GA

Anybody know what happened to these guys? I tried web site, but I get an under construction page. Can someone explain the trouble with the brackets? Speedway tells me that the alt. must be closer to my engine. Fifth ave garage tells me alt must be moved out. This with the wishbone brackets 1/4 top offset behind 7/8 base on my 52 F-1 239 V8. How does Rod n Customs bracket work?
    Thanks
    M Joiner

10. barry wny

barry wny

Did 2 slingshots, had to trim alt. on one side & shim the other on both to get it perfect, and it need's to be

11. 52Flat

52Flat
    from Evans, GA

Can you explain why the alt has to move inward? I'm trying to tell the guys on the FTE site and we can't see the logic as the trucks had the longer water pump shafts and wider belts and pulleys. Everyone figures that the alt. would need to move out or be "spaced or shimmed" not recessed. The flathead guy at Speedway assured me that the alt would need trimming but he couldn't tell me what about the trucks make it that way.

Thanks,
    M Joiner

12. barry wny

barry wny

I can't say why it's different as we never tried it with the Gen., he did insist on the mechanical fan that ran off the second pulley both trucks, they scare me I wanted to go electric. One Fan did disintegrate and for some reason nothing was damaged.
    I rebuilt all 4 8RT waterpumps used on both trucks and pressed the pulleys on flush as the originals were. If there was a way to leave the pulleys further out you would still have to deal with the crank pulley.... Most reasonably adjustable unit is the alternator, I suppose the "slingshot" could be machined instead of the Alt., I took the easy way out. My unit came from Becker in Ohio, it's all he does and he can tell you all about it. I see him every year at Dunkirk but always loose his card.
    Serarch produced this, it may be him...
    http://www.thomasnet.com/heading.html?cov=NO&what=Alternators&heading=1250208&searchpos=12&cid=39589

Attached Files:

13. designs that work

designs that work

Shameless self promotion. Had some alternator brackets machined for very small alt. These alternators only put out 45 amps, which is barely enough for my fender less modified. One bracket for 1948 and earlier and one for 1949 and later.

14. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

See corresponding post titled.... GM alternator on a flattie.