Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FLATHEAD 4 ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Time Bandit, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Time Bandit

Time Bandit

Just learning so take it easy on me but I know what a Flathead V8 looks like but what is a Flathead 4? I have a Stock 1930 Model A , is that considered a FLATHEAD? Just trying to learn, thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. flatford39

flatford39

It certainly is a flathead. Any engine whether it be Ford, Chrysler or whoever that has the valves in the block and not in the heads live a Chevy is considered a flathead. Even your Briggs & Stratton lawn mower is a flathead.

nugget32 and 36-3window like this.
  3. in my mind all engines that are valve in block are Flatheads

some...or most.... people consider only a Ford valve in block V-8 engine a Flathead

4. Time Bandit

Time Bandit

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For cam in the block engines there are three basic styles of heads.
    L heads = flatheads where all the valves are in the block Flathead being any engine with both valves in the block no matter what the cylinder count.
    F head = intake valves in head and exhaust in block. Jeep ran those from 50 to 71.
    I head = Both valves in block.
    I guess someone will spout that there was also a Hemi head with the valves at opposite angles rather than in a straight or somewhat straight row.

6. I head is both valves over piston commonly known as OHV and yes your model A is a Flathead unless converted to OH, and no and Ardun is not a Flathead...................