Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATCAD RACING Bonneville 2011 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Jul 27, 2010.

1. choptvan

choptvan

I am all over it!

2. Geez man, you've had a whole day AND the body was already braced- WHERE ARE THE UPDATE PICS???!!! :D

3. choptvan

choptvan

I can not chop that much out of it. To much for the class....

4. choptvan

choptvan

I am slackin!! Actually, my newborn ( 10 days ) got real sick so that stopped progress for the day. We had to go to the doctor. I have pix. But not much to post.

5. choptvan

choptvan

She is sitting almost where she belongs. I still have a bunch more measuring to do to be sure I do not exceed the rules. But here she is as of today. And do not worry bout that quarter window. I have a plan.

[​IMG]

how to chop a car when noone is around....

[​IMG]

these are inserts to ensure strength. I know it will have a roll bar. But a little extra won't hurt right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just realized those pix are fuzzy. My apologies.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  6. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Holy cow Buddy,

She sure looks a lot different from when I saw her under the tree in Chanute! Looking good!

7. Sorry to hear about your newborn- hope the little tyke's feeling better soon!

The chop looks great so far... VERY smooth:D

8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey buddy Don't worry about that door I have a plan too!! Or any of the other rust for that matter

9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey forgot to mention one important thing. That chop is looking great!

10. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

How did I get so lucky as to have such GREAT team members?!:D:D:cool:

11. Lower that lid baby! It is looking SWEET! Great progress - I can tell by what you're doing that this is not your first rodeo!. I can't wait to drop a big ass, snarling old FlatCad engine in that bad dog . . . give it something to BARK about :D

12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

You can order a S.C.T.A. rule book off of their website you will need it to be in compliance, will save a lot of tears in your beer after you get all the way to the salt.

13. choptvan

choptvan

everything is to spec. promise. All the evidence to prove it.

14. choptvan

choptvan

HaHa!!!! Right!!

15. choptvan

choptvan

Thank you very much!

16. choptvan

choptvan

Here is some progress for the day. Once I get the other side all tacked together, I am tackling it with a wire wheel to get all fo the primer off. Shouldn't weld over primer. These are only tacks. Then I am getting out the hammer and dolly to massage it as I weld it. The welding will be really slow, so after it is all tacked together, I will not really be showing to much progress. But here we sit as of today. I am still working on it but she is getting there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just saw that the quarter window looks pointed. Doesn't look that way in person. So I will check it out better tomorrow.

17. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Looking so cool, would have loved being at Bonneville when you make the first pass:)!
    I know there are a couple of teams here in Norway, aming for 2011!?

O Yes, we are so fortunate to have the best team members:D!

Happy new year!

Taildragger&fenderless

18. Did a little bit of work today -- made a set of aluminum 'FlowBench' lifters. They're designed to go into the lifter blocks - the top has a flange so they can't drop down.

FlowBenchLifters.JPG

These make it easy to put some 'setup springs' on a couple valves and set the valve open height to be .100, .200, .300, .400 and .500 -- then test the flow with all the rest of the things we need to try. We'll be using a junk block as a guinea pig - so we have plenty of ports to try. One thing that is different on a FlatCad versus a flathead Ford is that the ports are not the same - front to back, there are actually 4 different intake port lengths/shapes, similar for the exhaust. (Now isn't that a pisser - damn Cadillac engineers!).

Here is the type of stuff that will be done:

1) Base line numbers with stock ports, stock valve sizes, etc..
    2) Rework the valve bowl areas (lots of room for improvement), start the porting procedure (doing all the normal 'short-side' radius work, hogging out the runners, etc).
    3) Test a variety of larger valve sizes to determine when we are port restricted (with a competition port) - versus valve restricted. We can go up to about a 2.05 intake and a 1.75 exhaust -- though we may find that we run out of flow at smaller valve sizes. My guess (and that is what it is :rolleyes:) is that at about a 1.94 intake, we'll be done. Keep in mind that we will have a large-bore 6-71 on the top with a Enderle Bugcatcher - so we'll be force-feeding it . . .
    4) Test with our new combustion chamber designs and proposed block reliefs. We've carved up some prototype combustion chambers on a CNC mill - directly from the cool SolidWorks designs that Chris Daniels has done.

Flowbench testing isn't going to tell us exactly what works or how much HP we'll make -- but hopefully it will give us some dang good ideas to try . . . the dyno and the track will tell us if we did the right things.

The hard part is that we have NO real numbers for baselines for ANYTHING - other than the testing that was done about WW2 timeframe --- so we'll just use the knowledge/experience of the group, throw a bit of luck in, send a few prayers to the Flathead Gods and see what happens. Time always gives us answers . . .

19. Great work B&S can't wait till this monster sings.................

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Great job, Dale!

As soon as the test block shows up, I'll run all this stuff down to Joe Abbin for the flowbench testing. I'm anxious to see the results!

Can anyone tell me how we would need to set the car up differently for El Mirage? I know the gearing will be different, and the jetting, but what about weight- similar to the salt, or lighter?

21. choptvan

choptvan

Here is an update worth posting. Starting to look like somethin finally. I have been workin on it most daily, but tack/cool/grind is hardly worth the effort to post. I would post a better profile pic, but it snowed a lot here so I do not want to push it outside right now.

[​IMG]

22. Looking sweet!!

Got rid of the point too!

23. Now we're talking!

Good looking stuff . . . the corners look a lot better - I'm liking what I'm seeing!

Dale

24. choptvan

choptvan

It looks much better in full view. I will have pix of that soon. I have to be done this week so it is time to bust some ass.

25. choptvan

choptvan

Looks like things are comin along.

26. gas pumper

gas pumper

For Bored&Stroked:

on non blown flathead I found that smaller valves on the larger seats, moving the margin out to near the edge had an improvement over larger valves.

Thinner valve heads helped. machining on the inside radius, not removing metal on the outside of the head to keep as much metal in the combustion chamber to keep compression up.

Moving the whole head down a little, so the valves just cleared the head up near the top side, so that the transfer area moved down to get more flow without increasing chamber volume was a big improvement.

Polished surface in the head and top of piston helps keep heat in the chamber instead of transfering to head and piston. There's less surface area in the polished finish than a rough finish. The more heat you can keep in the charge as it compreses, the higher actual compression pressure there is.

I can tell you this cause I no longer race flatties:)
    Good luck with the project, I really hope to see you guys out there this year if possible.
    Frank

27. choptvan

choptvan

As close to a profile pic as I could get today. And some work on the other side. I have also begun the lovely process of grinding. Still have a lot left to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. pregrid

pregrid

Absolutely amazing, cool stuff. For those of us with no artistic ability I say "Kudos, sir"

29. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man , That chop is coming along real well. It will sure have some good lines.

Dave