Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATCAD RACING Bonneville 2011 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Headers: Holy Bung Holes! . . . Being Ceramic Coated . . .

Was ready to take the headers to be coated this morning. Then it hit me, I needed to put in the AFR and EGT sensor bungs . . . Holy Crap! . . . can't add them AFTER the coatings! :eek: So, I took the day off from work and did the work and got them completed. I was punished today - as my welding disk grinder fried when I tried to use it this AM . . . leaving me with no disc grinder for metal prep . . . improvised with other tools, just took a lot longer. :cool: The "bung hole" work was done in a big hurry and is not my best - but it has to do . . . we have a race to go to!

I solicited 'Performance Powder Coatings' in Columbus to see if they would pull a rabbit out of the hat and ceramic coat the headers for me in a 2 - 3 day turn around (need them by the weekend). The owner 'Jason' said that they are swamped, but they will always try to help fellow racers in emergency situations. He figures it this way -- he helps somebody . . . and maybe when he needs help, it comes back his way. Good guy, right karma!

He held back some other jobs to fit me in - as he needed to reserve the time and material for our job. The headers will be coated in a flat black coating - as he has had the best luck with this finish in high-heat situations. He said that in their experience, the silver coatings have not stood up as well as the black. Whether that is true in all cases . . . frankly, I don't give a crap . . . just having them coated and not rusting makes me happy!

Flat Black is the new chrome anyway . . . we're going to like it no matter what :D

It is nice to complete the metal/fab work - sick and tired of it! 'Keeper' of the FlatCad team is going to help me with a timing cover plate . . . so no thrashing in the shop tonight . . . just computer thrashing to complete a design and get it to him.

That is it for now . . . keep thrashing boys!

B&S

2. Keep up the good work. I hope to see you on the salt.

3. Sure hope it all comes together for the Flatcad racing team looks llike lots to do yet, but know you guys will put it all together, this project has wings!

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Hmmm,

I'm starting to hear some hesitation, and doubt about making it. Hell, I've had my own doubt at times- a lot of times, lately!

If we stay committed to finishing the FlatCad, there's no time or opportunity to swap in , say, a SBC, for the purpose of a shakedown runs and licenses.

If we commit to an engine swap, there's no way we can finish the FlatCad. So, we have a conundrum of some magnitude!

This is very simple- we committed to a build that was far from cookie cutter. Every internal, and most external engine parts, are all custom. Intake, exhausts, bellhousing, front pulleys, water and oil pump- all custom. Everyone involved in the project knew this wouldn't be easy, yet everyone, to this point, has risen to the occasion!

Kudos to everyone involved, and thanks!!

Getting an engine assembled is not that hard, nor time consuming. All we need are the parts, and we're golden. There will be 3 of us in Ohio, so we can literally work until the last minute, jump in the truck, and drive straight through. In the job I have, when things go wrong, it's not unusual to be up 24-48 hours solving issues, so this is no big thing.

We may not/ probably won't have time to dyno the engine, so it won't be anywhere near max power output. We'll set it fat, baby it, and run it- THIS YEAR- ON THE SALT- AT SPEEDWEEK.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  5. Keep going, you guys are "Iron Men"! You can do it. I got tired at 9 last night just trying to button up a few loose ends. Found a spot in the cage that didn't get welded completely, it's gonna get fixed.

6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I think that most everyone who runs a car on the salt will be very busy the next couple of weeks. It just seems to be that way. The first year that we ran, I thought we would be working on the car, while it was on the trailer, as we drove to the salt. Hooley got the engine running the day before we left. We stopped at Sumners in Utah and worked on the car at least a full day while we were there. That year we got the car past inspection and Hooley got his licenses. We had a top speed of about 219 MPH at the end of 3rd mile. (We lost oil pressure at the 3) That first year we ran an unblown engine that was a collection of swap meet parts uncluding a set of used $50 pistons and rodsl. You will be amazed as to how much you will get done before Speedweek. KEEP AT IT.

John

7. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

I am planning that we all will be there !!!! It can happen !! We also need to be there !

I just finished up with ESAB Welding & cutting products , Territory sales manager Victor Flores, and they are an Official Sponsor for Flatcad Racing Victor is setting up my trailer with all new welding products from Mig -- Tig water cooled for alum. Plasma cutter and all the stainless steel and mild steel wire, tips ect for our use this year at the salt .. Now We can build a new car there if needed. So lets do this and keep the faith

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Damn Don, is there anyone you haven't gotten involved? You must be a helluva pitchman!:cool:

Everyone much appreciates everything you've done and are doing! Kevin, Randy, John K., Sam, Dale, Chris, Pete, Rich F., John S., Duane S., and Roy- Same story- you've all been great!:cool:

Please send me ESAB's logo, and I'll take care of getting them on the car.

At this point, our best bet may be to try and hit a dyno in SLC to get what tuning done we can. Altitude, and altitude density will at least be close. If we can use Dale's guy in Columbus we will, but the timing might not work.

Any thoughts on this, or suggestions on a place? Hopefully, a place that also has a good injection guy!

Of course, we still may have to just set it fat, baby it, and run it- THIS YEAR- ON THE SALT- AT SPEEDWEEK.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  9. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

LOL No pitch man, just some good vendors.. We almost had TV Tommy Ivo going with us to the salt this year but the timing did not work out. I think he would have been a good Injection man to have with us. Maybe later this year He will join us.

10. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Hey, Buddy, i'm in the same boat. next week is it for us do or die...................I think it wll fire this week, and head back home to texas for lettering and loading up next saturday the 6th ... get er done i want to see it on the salt as much as anyone here.... that car makes me smile....

11. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Dale.

Have you gotten the lifters yet? Any pictures of the internals of the engine?:) Very criouse....!:)

Br
    Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well, I've dreaded writing this, but I must.

The FlatCad will not attend Speedweek.

I apologize to all our sponsors, and everyone that worked so hard, and went way beyond themselves on this build. When we first decided to undertake this build, Pete1 told me we needed 4 more months for a build of this magnitude. I laughed, and said "don't worry!"

If anyone is to blame, it's me- guess I shouldn't have been so confident on such an ambitious build.I should have listened to experience, and planned accordingly.

We have agonized over this decision, and had many discussions on what we could do to salvalge it. Here is the plan.

The work will continue on the FlatCad, with the goal being WOS.

Pete has graciously offered the use of his 350, from his hotrod. I'm working on trying to get it from Elbe, Wa., to Columbus, OH., at the moment. If anyone is going this way, please holler at us!

We'll drop the SBC in the car, and head to Bonneville. We'll be able to get the car teched,shake the car down, and make our licensing runs. If everything works out, we'll be back with the FlatCad for WOS.

13. Bummer man.

14. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

15. jfrolka

jfrolka

Big time bummer

16. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Yep, Shit!

Hmmm, Here's a thought:

If someone closer than Pete, had a dream to drive a car at Bonneville, I have a deal for you!

If someone wanted to loan us their hopped up SBC, and get it to Bored&stroked, I'd gladly give them my seat as a driver!

...just sayin....

17. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

Is there even a tiny chance of the Caddy making it or is toast for sure?

I am overnighting a couple brackets to Dale as we speak.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  18. Been following from the get go. Sorry as hell to see this. May be for the best, considering all aspects. Any one thing hanging you up .... or a little of everything ?

19. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Sorry to hear this Buddy.....but I will say this, better to have it completely correct than take a chance of an accident waiting to happen...Keep you chin up!:(

20. Well Buddy keep yer chin up and keep on keepin on. Like Truckincoupe said tis better to get right than to do it half assed and make mistakes. It will get there that I'm sure of, if not than at least there will be a bunch of flat cad shirted guys strolling around!!

21. plan9

plan9

Buddy, dont worry about it. A truly gallant effort on everyone's part!

Definitely do what you can to get the car out for shake down. :)

22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks guys!

Kevin- no chance at Speedweek.

The FlatCad build is not dead, just delayed. The machine shop is swamped, and hasn't been able to get everything done, It didn't help that we had so much last minute stuff delivered there!

So, for all those guys walking around in FlatCad shirts- thanks, and watch for us at WOS. Same team, same guys, same bs- or is that B&S?! Lol!:D

23. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

Could you give me the details on WOS I think I will just change my flight then.

24. Keep up the good work. WOS will have to do.

25. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Don't let it get ya' down Budd', I'm not makin' it there this year either. After many years attending, I've learned one thing, Bonneville aint goin' anywhere. And maybe you can still make World Of Speed. If not, like it's been said MANY times...There's always next year. If I could sneak my Buddies stroker outa' his truck I'd meet ya' at the bend. Go anyway, and have a good time. Sure enjoyed the build thread.

26. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Buddy, I feel for you, all of you have worked, worked and worked more..
    I would like to know the dates for the WOS. I will cancel my room at the Nugget and wait till I here a date..
    Thanks....
    Duane S.

27. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

I will be at Bonneville for the shake down and WOS !!!!!! I am also working a buddy over, to get his sbc from him, It is in an old skool Gasser anglia ( this thing is quick ) I hope to know tomorrow. I will keep you posted on this

28. :(

Won't be the first time. The "Yellow Brick" had to miss Speedweek for WOS in '07, thought we had it all ready the last week but it just didn't handle in test runs. You'll be missed but you'll make it up. ;)

Who's gonna drink your beer on Thurs. night? :confused:

29. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

ME!

We're still going to tech the car, and make license runs.

Don't get any ideas about my beer!:D

30. Great! I misunderstood.