Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flat head info please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53ash, Nov 10, 2005.

1. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

I'm building a 53 stock flattie; 30 over, with new pistons,valves,lifters,etc. I want to run header. Now the questions:
    1. what kind and brand of headers are best and cheapest?
    2. glass packs, or straight pipes?
    3. can't afford a fancy carb set-up just yet (spending it all on machine shop stuff) where's stuff to rebuild the original 53 carb, and will it work ok?
    4. what to do with the ignition. will stock stuff run her ok?

I've got lots more, but i'll stop for now. The flat motor looks lot's different, and I've heard lots of bad stuff about them, but I think you folks will know what's what. Hugh

2. TV

TV

Reds headers makes the best for the money, you can find him in Heimmings. As for the pipes set them up with dump tubes and no mufflers, this will have a great sound if you have the right cam.--TV

3. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

Reds for sure for the headers with glass packs. Thats what I run on my 49.
    Look at dennis carpenter or Mac's for the carb rebuild and maybe switch to a duel point and that will make her purrr.
    Jack

4. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Others can chime in on this, but if you're running the stock '53 carb, you can stay with the original Ford distributor. It's pretty simple and is designed to work with that carb. I believe you can buy a Pertronic conversion for it too if you want to get away from the points. When you get around to souping up the carb system, do some reading up on the multi-carb setups. This was well covered by 286Merc on the Fordbarn forum and even here I think. A search should pop it up.

5. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Red's Headers has everything you are looking for. I'll second the notion that if you are keeping the stock carb, you may as well keep the stock distributor.

http://www.reds-headers.com/

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Lots of people have the stuff, but an advantage to Red's is that you can talk to a competent human being who knows his stuff. Read the "Engine talk" section of his website--good stuff.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'd spring for a hot cam on the initial build. The bolt on stuff can be added as the cash flow warrants.

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'm with Tommy on this - build it with the cam now - much easier than later.

I'll also recommend Red's for the headers.

Stock carb/dizzy will get you going.

Check the Tech-O-Matic for 286Merc's dual-carbs w/stock dizzy article if you decide to go that route later.

Alternatively, swap out for a different dizzy - do a search on here - lots of info from chevy/chrysler conversions to aftermarket.

With the carb/dizzy stuff - do one at a time to lessen your troubleshooting pain. I'd go with dizzy first!;)

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Good point--a cam swap on a flathead can be way too much fun after things are together.
    Starting any hotrod flathead with a single stock carb is a good idea in my book, as it is important to get a new engine running properly quickly without all the extra problems that can be introduced with altered intake. Once you know all is right, then start the mods up there. And, it wouldn't be a bad idea to first tune and debug the second carb on the single manifold before starting the thrashing, too!

10. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Ain't it true!
    Had a fellow who was having all kinds of troubles with his tri-carbed new flathead.
    Finally convinced him to use one of my old single carb manifolds and one of my known carbs (rebuilt and jetted) to get the engine running right.
    Trouble is; he doesn't want to give me the manifold or the carb back!
    It's running TOO good!

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A good single with one of the bigger cousins of the 94, a V-12 Lincoln or late Y-block carb, would not be a bad setup for many flatheads--just not enough visual drama!

Kinda reminds me of an old story from HRM: The Hot Rod crew was towing their early 1960's super stocker, some kind of Chrysler letter 300, to the National Drags; at a desert gas stop, an Indian asked "How many carburetors that have?" "Two", replied a crew member. "My Pontiac have three!" replied the local, walking away in smug victory...

12. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

Thanks for the great info. Sounds like Red's is the answer for headers and info. I'll check into cams. Sounds like a great idea, but I'll have to see if the budget allows.
    Sounds like stock is gona be the way to learn with most of it. Big ken says I shoulda done a search for this info, but I haven't figured out how yet, I will, and again I appretiate all your information. Ken put some picks of the old girl up on my intro thing. They were the day we picked her up. Thanks again. I'll keep postin as I can..... 53ash Hugh

13. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Let me throw in my $.02......I've been running a set of Red's Chrome headers on my flatmotor for almost 5 years and no signs of blueing at all......they are great and I also run Smithy's glasspacks from Red.....top shelf parts at very good prices and a top shelf guy to deal with.....his wife, Marilyn is nice to deal with too!

the Engine Talk at the bottom of his web site has a lot of great tech info....

Do it!

Brucie

14. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Hugh; this is a piece that is in the TECH archives; it starts a little slow, but stay with it, it contains ALL KINDS of valuable flathead information .... (would you believe 15 PAGES worth!)

Just click here >>> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23305

15. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

Thanks Dave. I'll read it. Hugh

16. Red are great.....Marilyn is great to deal with and the service to me has been top notch and I live in Oz.

Rat

17. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

I just read the whole thing! WOW! It's got great info. Would recomend it to anyone that wants to learn flaties. Hugh