Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. ...I've been really enjoying this great build,..love those A bones.

loudbang, Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. took about a can and a third to spray. this is really nice paint and it dries fast. IMG_1657.JPG

3. Do you need me to do the letters on the tailgate. I will make them look old.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

OFT, Stogy, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  4. yellow with red shadow line IMG_4649.JPG

OFT, Robert J. Palmer, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  5. tomkelly88, Stogy, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  6. went to work and came home to find this. Nice job Mark and a perfect match to the doors. IMG_1661.JPG IMG_1662.JPG

Elcohaulic, tomkelly88, OFT and 23 others like this.
  7. Thanks! Enjoyed doing it since Ted is always there for me.:cool:

8. greaser

greaser

That hammered and highlighted V8 does the trick. Great job, Guys!

ct1932ford, TFoch, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jalopy Cool!!...fantastic outcome...

10. just getting around to posting the little bit I got done. I painted the hardware and assembled the bed. IMG_1670.JPG IMG_1663.JPG IMG_1664.JPG IMG_1665.JPG

11. I put the front carriage bolts in then trimmed them down. I painted them with the spray paint after. IMG_1671.JPG IMG_1672.JPG

12. on the tail gate I added a piece of dense weather stripping to keep the gate from rattling and chipping the paint. IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG

dwollam, R A Wrench, OFT and 12 others like this.
  13. Charlie had given me the front fender braces to shape. I went and compared it to the pair I had on a lawn display I have. braces matched up to just above the light bar, then they were bent up. IMG_1667.JPG IMG_1668.JPG IMG_1669.JPG

14. I traced the arch out on a piece of cardboard, then bent the braces to match. IMG_1675.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG IMG_1677.JPG

dwollam, OFT, Sprockmonster and 11 others like this.
  15. I decided it was time to get the band saw working properly so I could mill the boards for the bed. I ran all new wires and cleaned the switch contact points. I found a 220 motor I had but had to make it mount to the machine, I made a new mounting plat and welded it to the motor base. I also had to found the perfect pulley in my stash. machine works perfect. IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1678.JPG

dwollam, TFoch, safetythird and 8 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Milestones...nice partner to the one alongside it...

loudbang likes this.
  17. yep. I used the motor from the wood band saw in the other one. it had a double large pulley on it and it was better suited to it. I had to adapt that mount also. they are both 2 horsepower, the metal band saw turns 1725 rpm and has a 5" pulley. the wood band saw now has a 3450 rpm motor with 4 pulleys ranging from 1"4". they both seem to be happy.

dwollam, kidcampbell71, OFT and 6 others like this.
  18. I had been to the farm that Charlie had gotten the truck many years ago and had forgotten I took photos of the truck.
    I was going through my photos and ran across a couple pictures of the trucks BEFORE the tree fell on them. DSCF0917.JPG DSCF0918.JPG

19. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

Looks great! What’s the process for aging the letters? Do you sand through them after they’re dry? Or is it just in the brush technique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. I think Mark just sand and buffed it.
    @ct1932ford ?

21. It looks best when you put the paint on then wear it down as if time has done it. It takes practice and patience to get the correct look. I use many different techniques. Thanks!

22. junkyjunkie

junkyjunkie

This build is awesome. I just got caught up as I just found this thread on Monday and can only look at it a few times per day. I really have learned a lot especially about the wood. Thanks so much for sharing so much detail.
    On another note, any chance the fellow that had the truck when the tree fell on it may want to sell anything off that Jailbar?

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  23. thanks, glad you are enjoying/enjoyed the thread.
    the family sold off the farm and the trucks, tractors and equipment are all dispersed. I don't know where the red truck ended up but am curios as to what the sign on the side was for. what parts are you looking for?

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  24. junkyjunkie

junkyjunkie

I see my computer is delayed in updating so I apologize for duplicate posts. The grille bars in particular. I know a couple were bent pretty bad but mine are all missing and I believe those could be straightened.

25. now that both saws are up and running I wanted to cut the planks for the bed. since the fuel tank and battery take up the front half of the bed, and will be covered with a tool box, I only needed bed wood from rear spring crossmember back. I started by chain sawing the remaining two boards in half. I screwed the straitest edge of the board to a 2x12 to give me a sled to run the piece through the band saw. once one edge was straight I screwed the freshly cut edge to the sled and squared up the straightest edge. before I could finish the second cut the motor quit. the thermal protection button popped. I don't know where I had gotten the motor but it needs work. IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1682.JPG

dwollam, TFoch, anothercarguy and 4 others like this.
  26. I put an aggressive 1" blade in the other saw and turned the speed up. I set up a "fence" and cut the boards to about 1". this should allow them to be planed to 3/4" . once I made 9 boards I cut them on the table saw to width. 5 of them are 4 3/4" wide and 4 are 5 3/4" wide. I will only need 8. IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1686.JPG IMG_1687.JPG

dwollam, TFoch, brEad and 6 others like this.
  27. IMG_1688.JPG IMG_1689.JPG IMG_1690.JPG IMG_1691.JPG I got the boards to @FolksWaggin who will run them through his planer for me.
    I had saved a set of bed strips from a project the I had replaced with stainless steel. I cut one into three pieces and bent a couple to use as the out side angles. I fit them into the brake and bent them at the edge of the bead.