Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fixing a dented roof

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hotrod55kustom, Jan 24, 2009.

1. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

tonight I had a mishap, my hood flew open while driving and tore off, and is now mangled, as well as my roof. anyone have suggestions on how to go about fixing the roof???

2. seret

seret

Could you post a couple of pictures? its kinda hard to say without seeing it. what kind of car is it?

3. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Well that plain bites !

4. Make it a coupster- problem solved!!!

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Why did the hood open?
    Answer that question for yourself and then scream when you realize it was all your fault!
    Then get a new hood and learn to do the repairs necessary to fix the roof.

6. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

first off what year?
    that way i can tell you if it will look good as a convertbile or not :)

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

looks like a 55 chevy as I read his profile

8. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

55 chev... i can get pics in day light... my friend that works @ the so-cal speed shop branch here is going to have a look at it on sunday too..

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

If you glue carpet to the roof, the dents wont show. You can also cover the roof with assorted plastic action figures, I like the star wars stuff, but any kind will work.
    No, but really, if you drill 3/8 holes, then from the inside of the car push 3/8 machine screws through the top, I would probably use around 100- 150, approx 2" long, with a nut and washer. Make sure to apply some silicone so no leeks. Then cut 3/8 id clear tubing, approx 3 ft long. Slide the tubing onto the machine screws sticking up from the roof. INSTANT HAIR FOR YOUR CAR. Please post pics when you finish, Ive always wanted to do that, I want to see how it turns out.
    Different color tubing makes diffrent color hair, you can change it out for the weekend and stuff.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  10. I use Pep Boys stick-on flames to cover the shit that I fuck up.

11. If your not sure How to do it and you have a Body Man friend, I'd leave it alone till He looks at it. If his last name is Brink your in good hands.
    The Wizzard

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Bodymen say dent repair is first in, last out, meaning to remove it properly will be the reverse of how it got damaged. So you need to get the hood inside the car, and hit the bottom of the roof real fuckin hard one time. Good luck!

13. missysdad1

missysdad1

Now THAT is funny!

On the serious side, don't try just pushing the dent out yourself. Shifty's first line of advice is a good one: "first in, last out." This technique minimizes metal stretch, work hardening and collateral damage. Be sure that a real pro does the work. Chances are most of the damage can be metal finished out, with only a thin skim of filler required to block out the minor waves and imperfections which remain. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  14. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

to those that actually gave sound and real advice, thank you.

it's not that i dont know how its done, my dad was a professional and custom bodyman for almost 30 years before his rotator cuffs started going out. so i learned alot from him, just that without his help on this i was hoping to find a second opinion or find another way of doing it.

now the issue is getting the headliner out. typically the headliner tucks into the windlace correct? on my car it appears the windlace lays under the headliner and the headliner has a flat metal strip that runs down both sides preventing me from being able to get underneath it. a friend said what he has found on chevy's is that there will be screws on one side that hold the bows in place but im starting to think that is not the case on this car. it is a custom interior. any thoughts or advice on getting the headliner down? i have all the trim that goes on top removed.

15. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Before you drop the headliner, can ya post a picture! Depending on how extensive the damage is, or isn't, dropping the headliner may not be necessary. The judicious use of a finishing spoon, a large faced finishing hammer, and perhaps some heat, may make all repair measures possible from the outside of the top panel!

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

16. I think a few love taps with a 10lb. sledge hammer will do the trick, from the inside.

17. metal has some memory if it aint to fucked , could be a big ass hammer or a gentle pop ..need pics man!

18. belair

belair

Then paint it white.