Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fixing a bad Bondo job...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corvairnut, May 17, 2016.

1. corvairnut

corvairnut

The engine compartment does not extend far enough to reach the area where the patch is located. I'm sure that spot is in an otherwise untouchable area... or at least one that I'm not sure how to access without a lot of effort. Removing the rear seat doesn't get there either. I would definitely like to keep the rear antenna because it was a factory-installed option.

I'm planning on taking the car to a well-known local autobody/restoration shop later this week to get an in-person opinion. Googling "bad Bondo work" and reading all of the responses in this thread have now given me bad nightmares about what might be lurking under this paint.

So if a strong refrigerator magnet sticks to all sections of the body except for where this rectangular patch is located, is it safe to assume the supposed rust may actually only have been a bad dent that was poorly patched with Bondo?

And to answer indyjps, I do not have a sentimental attachment to the car. But I'm also really not in the mood to sell. Almond Fawn (code 920) is quite a rare color for the '64 Corvair Monza Coupe and extremely difficult to find anymore. I'm leaning more towards wanting to fix this problem rather than jumping ship. Call me crazy...

2. 5window

5window

Nah, we'll just call you another car nut. Keep us posted on what lies beneath.