Register now to get rid of these ads!

First time entering a car show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BaBa, Aug 4, 2013.

1. One thing I always do at a participant judged show is throw my ballots in the nearest garbage can! The Lord didn't put me on earth to judge the cars of others.
    I also stay as far away from my ride as possible, because I don't want to be asked by every mouth breather why I didn't make a rat rod out of it and/or put a small block Chevrolet engine in it.

2. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Lots of good comments here. Most of all have fun. Oh yeah, don't stand around quoting some catalog. I got a blah blah this and a blah blah that.....etc.

3. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Leave before the trophies... Every time I'm standing next to someone who gets their name called who says "finally" it bugs the hell out of me... But if you do stick around and win, give your trophy to a kid.. They love that

4. Only you know what you like.. Go spend the day , take drinks a few chairs , sunscreen and do what you want to do. Stay for the awards, even if you don't get one. This is your first , take it all in. Then if you don't like it , don't go again. Remember, you are now part of the show instead of a spectator. :D

p.s. be careful of what you drink, no one wants to see you act stupid. (done that)

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I've judged shows for years, and I'm always amazed that people leave their gym clothes in the back seat, food wrappers on the floor, dirty floor mats ,masking tape with numbers on their spark plug wires, and other stupid crap that just detracts from the experience. These are cars that the owners spent days cleaning, waxing, and polishing.
    The hoods usually look better down and the trunks shut. Go figure.
    Convertible hardtop Fords must always stick in the half up position,I guess.
    Car hop trays, huge placards and memorials are a no go for me.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Don't turn into Honey Boo Boo's mom.:D

7. waterhorse

waterhorse

Looks like you are in my area. If you would like to cruise both cars to the show let me know. I enjoy the shows and seeing freinds, getting ideas, etc.
    ice chest
    sunblock
    chairs
    snacks
    relax and have a good time

Greg

8. Yep, leave all the stuffed animals and other toys at home. Just my opinion of course.... and you know what that's worth.

9. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Go have fun and don't let it bother you about the shitty comment you over hear some car less jerk make to his buddy about how he would of built it or the color.Just remember the 99% of the good complements you get are your trophies.

10. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I swear I wanna kick one of those every time I see one. LOL!!

-Jeremy

11. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Ok I will ask - post some pictures of your truck ? please

12. Go three days early mark off 5 spaces with crime tape and chairs then don't show up

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

What amazes me are judges that can't see the car for worrying if the floor mates are dirty or looking for a worn pair of panties in the back seat! :rolleyes: A judge is there to judge the car, not all the other BS. Hell next you'll be saying you didn't score a car well because the women that got out of it ass stank!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  14. derpr

derpr

remember it's not what you drive but who you know. I went to a car show this year, it was a smaller one. Some kind of benefit thing. When they called out awards, My wife won a trophy. WTF I didn't know she even register a car. since my name was on the car.

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

Show up , enjoy the show, and make some new friends. Easy to start conversations with car people, just say 2 words " Kool Car " and you should be off and listening, Most car people love to talk about their car, myself included. When you meet the Grumpy, Whiney, Bitchy, Know it ALL, excuse yourself and move on, Thankfully, most car people are GREAT! John

16. big bad john

big bad john

..Just have fun and meet a lot of nice people that come to the shows

17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Wanna enjoy yourself? Write DO NOT JUDGE on your entry ballot. Then go look at the other vehicles in the show and make new friends.

18. drag one of those crybaby dolls into the show on a rope, you'll be a hit.

19. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Best advice so far!!

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This car show shit is way too serious to be taken seriously. Just sayin...

21. greg

greg

Dont do many local shows any more, but usually when I do, its to have a place to park while I walk around and check out the other cars, and also figure the entry fee is supporting the local club.
    I sometimes dont even get a lawnchair out.

I will try and go up to someone if I see them looking at my car, because there are a lot of people out there still building cars for the 1st time and just have some questions. I really do enjoy trying to help a first time builder. I was there myself once.

And I love to let kids set in my car. They always get a kick out of it.

22. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Now that is funny,and unfortunately so true.
    I have done what Voodoo Twin suggested,but spent more time explaining why I didnt want it judged,go figure.

23. Special Ed

Special Ed

Good advice.
    I did exactly that at the Grand National Roadster Show last January, and it was the smartest thing I could have done. I was able to enjoy the show and the people without all the other nonsense... :)

24. Amen! It's better'n hanging out at garage sales!

25. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

I loved the local car show circuit. Tho don&#8217;t go for the accolades&#8230;go for the fun. My first with 'DeadBetty' - the SPL311 Fairlady&#8230;two stories with this one&#8230;1<SUP>st</SUP>&#8230;Watching people walk up&#8230;who recognize this car, from somewhere in their early years&#8230;some, tears welled up a bit...and immediately started stories of their car they had in high school&#8230;or some other experience they had with the car&#8230;some would place their hand on the fender&#8230;as if making a connection&#8230;or reconnecting<o:p></o:p>
    Another&#8230;'DeadBetty' had the convertible top Up&#8230;due to rain in the area&#8230;Some lady stuck her head in to look at the dash&#8230;and caught her necklace on something...and as she pulled away...it broke&#8230;and somehow...I was expected to be held responsible&#8230;<o:p></o:p>
    Ok&#8230;maybe 3 short stories&#8230; :p
    The car next to mine...a 56 Chevy Gasser&#8230;Some Cowboy leaned into the engine bay&#8230;and his Belt buckle just ripped in to the fender&#8230;scoring it past paint and primer&#8230;making shiny metal marks&#8230;it was disturbing&#8230;the lack of care or concern.<o:p></o:p>
    But I definitely recommend a few car shows&#8230;you&#8217;ll learn what to bring...what not to bring. When to set up the EZUP&#8230;and what happens when a breeze whisks thru suddenly and the panic and fear that ensues&#8230;and when to take the EZUP down&#8230;<o:p></o:p>

26. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I know you don't like it, but a car show is a COMPETITION. At every show I've judged there have been at least five cars that rise to the top and are capable of winning... Yes, we do judge the CARS .
    Now we have to look closer. EVERY detail matters... And yes, it is about details. Call it BS if you want, but it is an indication of the effort put into the entry.
    I understand completely those who don't care about awards, but there are many who do.
    You can spray your car with cowshit and dirty clothes for all I care, but don't whine and wail about judging if you don't care about the details...

"They didn't pick my car just because it had dirty floormats!" That's because sitting right next to it was a car JUST AS NICE with clean ones

27. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Agree...

28. Good one. Wear a HAMB shirt and if any fellow HAMB'ers are there. they should say something to you. If not ,it makes people wonder. And remember some of these old men where our HERO's in the old days, some.

29. Airwolf

Airwolf

Go for the fun and experience. I used to judge quite a few car shows local and national. I'll do the locals any day. Too much "politics" in the nationals. Chaz hit the nail on the head when it comes to judging. When you have 4 or 5 cars all in the same league, then you need to start looking at the little details.

You can learn a lot just by showing up and when it's done and over asking the judges what they look for - just be prepared for different answers. I go for fun now. I'll pay the entry fee just to support the event, let mine be judged for what it is, and have a great time looking and meeting people. Great places to get ideas, see some different completed concepts, and ask questions. It's gonna be what you make it.

And, unfortunately, you'll probably see your share of whiners and trailer queens. Always appreciated the "drivers" and those owners who did much of the work themselves.

30. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

I like car shows a lot. The only thing I would worry about is someone trying to steal something off my car if I walk away from it. I&#8217;m sure there is not anything to be concerned about Im sure the odds are the same if you park your car to go eat dinner or lunch and come back in 1hr.