Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical First ride of this year, not good....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Mar 22, 2021.

1. trollst

trollst

So, the weather's been not bad, the snow and most of the crap is gone from the road, old mary hasn't been running too good the last few startups, gas is getting old, I parked her in november.
    Backed her out of the shop, burping and farting, poured some alchohol in the tank, that'll work, just give her a good run. Runs ok, but jeez, maybe I gotta look at the carb, run up to the fuel dock, pump some purple premium in her, head out for the highway, lookin for adventure....did I mention I got no heat in her, temp is just above freezing, but hey, no matter.
    Poke her hard many times, she wants to go, but the spirit ain't willing, still burping and farting, my poor old 327 won't rev out, head for my favourite long hill, poke her hard right to the long hard top, develop a bad miss halfway up, piss me off this does. Miss is sorta there the twenty miles home, runs like a bag of crap by the time I roll into the shop door.
    All the plugs on the driver side are black, but good enough, all the plugs on the right bank are good, pull the cap, rotor is good, cap gets wiped down but it's good too, next onto my high buck Aurora electronics wires I put in ten years ago, discover some burned boots, imagine that, seems nothing lasts any more. Jeez, I just did the plugs last year.....dig out my replacement aurora wires box, blow the inch of dust off it, find the right length wires, replace the wires, and whammo, bammo, mary is right again, idles nice, runs the full tilt boogie with ease, hope we're good for another ten years...... DSC07768.JPG DSC06519.JPG

2. Sounds good to me, it's a good looking truck but you need to break out the paint brush and a little black paint and give that rusty master cylinder some love. HRP

3. trollst

trollst

Jeez, picky picky picky......watch out, you'll offend me......

4. Deuces

Deuces

Moral of the story here is..... Don't buy them cheesy plug wires... Them things are freakin' garbage!... ;)
    Now take her out for another spin and let us know how she really does... :D:cool:

Stogy, Sandgroper and trollst like this.

5. catdad49

catdad49

If you want maintenance free, you might have to buy something a little newer!

Deuces, Stogy, Sandgroper and 2 others like this.
  6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Nice to hear the happy ending to your story. Nice truck! My ‘35 is pending a carb transplant.

Had the model A out yesterday post work on the Mitchell and suffice to say, I need a few linkage adjustments.
    0FCD9AEF-1289-4C3E-89DA-0D86DEB53B10.jpeg

7. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Maintenance free except tennis shoes and sweat ""walking"". OR
    Until the 36 /36 which ever comes first runs out , then $100- 140 hr shop rate ,
    Sold my new c1500 , could not stand the way it shifted , it could not make up its mind if it had a shift kit or Cadillac shift.
    $100 oil change , I do the labor , use 2 qts every 4,000 miles . I purchased it with less than 2 miles on the odometer never been over 4000 RPMs (gas)
    Nice when new , 5.3 good gas mileage 23 plus , $ maintenance on a new vehicle is just as bad (to me) that's comes with a racecar.
    I Did not use it as a truck just wanted the room inside, going back to a truck older then 1985 ish , & I am a mechanic technician fabricator,

Deuces and The Magic Ratchet like this.
  8. Packrat

Packrat

Really cool truck, glad it's running good again!

trollst likes this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I was having some issues with my Shoebox Ford....ran the gas almost out of it and refilled it....all better. The gas today is junk.

trollst likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just try and drive mine every couple of days. It was hard this winter with all the craziness.