Register now to get rid of these ads!

First drive, first hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shawnsauto1, Jun 5, 2011.

1. After 13 months, finally took the 27 T down the road. Ran good. I'll have to do something about the front end wheel hop over bumps. But all in all, I made it home and didn't have to use the fire extinguisher:D The only disappointment other than the wheel hop are the number of people that call it rodent names. Maybe some paint next year might help that...

Attached Files:

• 045.jpg
      045.jpg
      File size:
      541.8 KB
      Views:
    • 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      525.5 KB
      Views:
  2. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Congrats!
    Good to see another one on the road.

3. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Neat little hot rod!

4. Great job! I know exactly how you feel right now!
    Buddy of mine is building a bucket like yours too...

5. shorty's shadow

shorty's shadow

Great rod - no rodent names attached. Just had the same experience myself. I can definitely relate. Also - one of my favorite Springsteen lines. Give em Hell!

6. Flatman

Flatman

Very cool! Did you jump at every rattle and squeek? I'm still chasing them down:D
    Did the flatty stay nice and cool?

Flatman

7. Thanks. I didn't think anyone got the Springsteen thing. a couple of people have called me Bruce

8. Rattles, and squeaks weren't bad. Just a couple times seeing that front tire bouncing that scared me. As far as staying cool, I'm ashamed to admit after 4 grand on a rebuild, I drove it without buying guages yet. Seemd fine though

9. What tire pressure are you running?

10. Master of None

Master of None

+1 and what are you running for front shocks? I can't tell from the pics.

11. That's a good question. They were at 28, but that was a while ago. I'm concerned about my used lever shocks. My rear ones seems to work really well, but the one's on the front (which I've mounted upside down) don't seem to do much.

12. You can see the shock on the second pic just behind the headlight on the frame

13. Slick ride. Any more pictures of the flatty?

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

14. Master of None

Master of None

Are the front's re-built?

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nice ride, will always be something to figure out - trusting soul not to have gauges for engine hooked up when you first started engine.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Your lever arm shocks may or may not be working and mounting thme upside down may or may not be a bad idea.

17. koolkat269

koolkat269

yeah, thats a slick trick you have there. congrats bud

18. I think you may or may not be right:D. They aren't rebuilt. I just filled them with oil. I'm somewhat suspicous that lever shocks don't work upside down. They just mounted up so nice that way.

19. I'm sure by trusting, you mean stupid. I had a good view of my overflow, so I wasn't worried. I might stick a cheap temp guage in just for now, until I find something nice to match my old SW speedo

20. W7CAR

W7CAR

You might also check front axle caster as that can also affect front wheel hop a lot

Yours in the Hobby,

Dave Walton - W7CAR

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I would unhook one of your shock links so you can cycle the shock up and down to see if the shock has enough drag to properly dampen the suspension. If it hops over bumps, that is most likely the problem.

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Shaun: Are you running a monoleaf front spring by chance? (sounds like a dampening problem, but my son's monoleaf did that on his '27. Good 7-leaf flattened stack did the trick.
    He also tossed the Monoleaves off the front of his '55 F100, same reason.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nifty looking little T. You might want to look into the shock thing and see if they will indeed work upside own or you will have to swap them side to side or change to something else. I had pretty much the same shocks on my T bucket 35 years ago and I don't think that they worked all that well right side up but they looked right on the car.

Some of these guys would have a heart attack and fall in it if they knew how many miles I have driven a couple of cars (51 Merc for one) without a working gauge in them including the speedometer. The 48 always had an oil pressure and temp gauge though. On a fresh engine gauges are a pretty nice thing to have though but we seem to subscribe to the same theory in that if the radiator isn't puking water the engine isn't hot.

We have pieces out here that we have been saving for years to build my son a similar car except that it would have a 55 Desoto Hemi instead of the flathead. Still way back off the back burner as far as projects go though.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a real good idea, and you might even pull one off and try it out on the bench to see what happens when you flip it over.

Check the caster too like W7car said as 35 years later I think that may have caused a similar issue with my T. And are the tires balanced? Even little tires need to be balanced correctly.

25. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Shawn, you just made and ruined my weekend.

Good job and much respect

26. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

Don't see any rodent stuff, just a nice traditional rod.

27. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

28. Well, after two successful road tests, the fan bearing siezed solid. Guess I'm on the hunt for a replacement...

29. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Nice! Do you have any videos of it?

30. Not sure if this video will work...