Register now to get rid of these ads!

Firewall install issue (model A)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Licensed to kill, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

I'm installing a firewall into my 28 model A and it APPEARS that the bottom section is about 1/4" too wide. When I put it in and clamp it into place, it pushes the side panels out so when I install the cowl, the side panels are about 1/8" proud on each side. I'm sure I can't be the only one to encounter this issue. How have others solved this problem?.

2. Can you post a few pics to help us out? Stock or repro f/w?

3. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Thanks for the reply. It's a repo firewall. I was able to get it to fit by cutting out the braces in behind the firewall and pushing it back about 3/4". This is likely how it was intended to be installed. It came without any sort of instructions and I was reluctant to start cutting out parts of the car on a hunch. With the angled supports removed and the FW recessed more it fits well. I may weld the supports back in in the new position just deciding whether I want an angle footboard or not.