Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fires Here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Texas57 we could see the fires from our mountain top home here.Thankfully it been FINALLY raining here pretty good all day.All roads in to Gatlinburg are still closed.The center of town where everything is was spared.Bruce.

slack, loudbang, oldsjoe and 2 others like this.
  2. slowmotion

slowmotion

Be safe Bruce, thanks for the updates.

Bruce Fischer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Are you saying the "main strip" where the Convention Center is located is OK, at this point ?
    If so, exactly where are the blazes, compared to the main strip of Gatlinburg ?

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

On the noon news here they said that the Gatlinburg area has received 4" of rain since midnight and now there are flood warnings so hopefully the fires are about out. Hang in there Bruce and good luck....

5. 12 noon news update still raining pretty good here finally and is going to all day. That will help with the 8 new fires that popped up last night.. Now they are afraid of mudslides for the rescue people now that all the trees and shrubs are gone. Just found out the center of the town of Gatlinburg where all the stores are were spared. All roads are still closed. Sadly a 4 th body was found in a burnt out motel. 4 dozen people were sent to our local hospital. There is a man they have been showing on the news here that his wife called him and told him the fire was right across the street from their cabin. He told her to call 911 and hasn't hear from her or her 2 daughters that were with him. Thats a real tear jerker.They said on the noon news now they know the fire was started by a human hand..Bruce. P.S. Thanks for all the likes I usally answer you all but there are just too many so thanks to you all here on the H.A.M.B. for your thoughts and prayers. Bruce.

55hdyman, r2c1, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  6. bobg1951 not sure of that part of town but the main strip that heads up to the park they say was spared.Bruce.

oldsjoe and bobg1951chevy like this.
  7. Lebowski we are getting the same amount of rain here, we are only 20 minutes from Gatlinburg.We live on a mountain top but at the bottom of our mountain there is a creek with a small bridge that floods out when we get a heavy rain. I know my wife will be asking me to go down and check it tonight to see if she can get across it to get home tonight. LOL. Bruce.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  8. Thank goodness for the rain.

Bruce Fischer and wraymen like this.
  9. OK, Thanks.

10. deucemac

deucemac

Having lived most of my 69 years here in California and seen and evacuated from several wildfires, rain can be a double edged sword. It snuffs out the fire but then, because the fire burned everything, rock and mud slides become a real concern. Our prayers are with you for some time to come.

11. Damn shame about the loss of life caused by the fire. Glad to hear you are OK.

12. bobg1951.I lived in N.J. and moved when I finally got my crap together and quit partying Move to Wilmington N.C.I loved it there but my soon to be ex wife wanted to move back to N.J. so back we went. Then got devoriced and moved to Flordia and drove truck for 10 years.Came up with my girl friend {who became my wife} and vacationed in a cabin in Murrfay N.C. and she said have you ever seen Gatlinburg?{she knew I loved the mountians } and I said no so we went over and stayed there and Sevierville a week. We came back 6 times with in 2 years. I put my house up for sale in Florida and moved to East T.N. with $2,500 dollars in our pockets and no jobs .{I WOULDNT TRY THAT NOW LOL}My wife found a job right away but it took me about 4 weeks to find a job. I started at Mountian Loft resorts in Gatlinburg. and been up here for the last 18 years. I wanted to move to N.C. but the taxes were too much. And that the rest of the story. Bruce. P.S. the next move will be the nursing home. LOL.

czuch, slack, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  13. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Thanks for the updates Bruce! So sad about the loss of life, and all those homes too...man, that is just so heart-sickening to imagine what the losses are to the communities. I'm assuming the winds have died down somewhat as well? ....thanks Bruce!

14. ken bogren

ken bogren

Our hearts go out to all affected by these terrible fires, and especially to the fire fighters and others like your step son who make the tragic discovery of those who perished.

15. Bruce, thanks for sharing. P.M. being sent to you.

16. Bruce , I've been worried about you and Enloe and all our HAMB members over in they part of the woods or what's left . Good luck to all . Blue

17. Bruce,
    Convention Center is located at south end of Gatlinburg, as you head towards Cherokee.

18. Sorry for everyones hard ships this has caused......

Bruce Fischer and bobg1951chevy like this.
  19. 11:00 News reporting 7 fatalities now, with 700 structures in Sevier County destroyed or damaged, with 400 of them being in Gatlinburg. Thank God for the rain.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Also this good news.
    Saw that the American Red Cross has started taking donations.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Living in the PNW we have fire season every summer and last year was a bad one but one doesn't expect to hear about big forest and brush fires in November. Hopefully the rains have helped get things under control to where they can put out in short order.

Stay safe and if the creek rises stay safe.

23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Well Bruce if nothing else this thread has shown how many friends you have here. I saw the news this morning, 7 dead and others missing, and CT is sending Firefighters down to help. Hope and pray that
    you and yours stay safe, and thank you to your son and his fellow servicemen.

24. hotrodA you are right. Just an up date.All roads are still close to Gatlinburg.441 through the park is still closed till they check the damage there. Only 30 percent of the homes have been checked because there are so many cabins in the mountians.The weather has turned colder 38 here this morning. Now for a little good new. A lot of hotels here are putting up the people deplaced by the fires till something can be done. All the T.V. stations here usally fight over coverage have come together and are creating a fund to help Sevier County. Even Dolly Partin orignally from Sevierville has started a fund to help people get back on their feet. You don't see this in big cities. I guess that's why they call us the VOLUNTEER state. I Will keep you all update and thanks for your thoughts and prayers.Bruce.

LongT, KoolKat-57, deucemac and 3 others like this.
  25. Thoughts and prayers going out. Again.

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Prayers for all affected, and especially this family. I can't imagine what that man is going through waiting to hear news of his wife and daughters. Please God, let them be found unharmed.

27. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

so glad you and your are ok. Sorry this cant be said for all in your area. Take care.

28. Dolly Partin announced~
    As you may know by now, there have been terrible wildfires in the Great Smoky Mountains, the same mountains where I grew up and where my people call home.

I have always believed that charity begins at home. That’s why I’ve asked my Dollywood Companies – Including the Dollywood Theme Park, and DreamMore Resort; My dinner theater attractions including Dixie Stampede and Lumberjack Adventure; and my Dollywood Foundation to help me establish the “My People Fund.”

We want to provide a hand up to those families who have lost everything in the fires. To aid in their recovery effort, the Dollywood Foundation will provide $1,000 a month to all of those families who lost their homes in the fires for six months so that they can get back on their feet.

29. My thoughts are with all those effected,many homes here have lost in previous bushfires.
    We are coming into the fire season here,not my favourite time of year.

30. Been thinking of you Bruce every day now since this horrible fire. Glade you and family are ok. Hang in there my friend.