Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fire extinguisher reminder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Nov 18, 2022.

1. BJR

BJR

Just a reminder to everyone to have working fire extinguishers in your shop. A coworker was trying to remove some broken off bolts from a door hinge on a door removed from the car. He missed a hidden mouse nest in the corner of the door and set it on fire. The undercoating inside the door also lit up. I grabbed a nearby fire extinguisher hanging on a post and put it out without any damage to the new paint on the door. Had we not had a fire extinguisher close by, the paint for sure would have been ruined and who knows what else could have caught on fire. So a potential expensive fire became a non issue due to a well placed extinguisher. Work safe out in your shop, unforeseen shit happens. Brian

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great reminder. I also keep a bucket of water in my shop. I use it for various reasons. But mostly to quickly apply it to a skin burn or a paper or rag fire.
    I’ve found the faster you can douse a burn in water the less damage occurs to your skin. A lot of times it doesn’t even blister.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have fire extinguishers, but rarely use them. If I'm doing any welding I grab the garden hose and turn it on. Then drag the hose nozzle into the shop and lay it down next to where I'm welding. Only needed it once, but it saved me from burning down a car. Made a wet mess of the interior, but that was easy to clean up.