Register now to get rid of these ads!

fire and water damage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rainhater1, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, also great for removing crap from your cooling system.

2. spiders web

spiders web

Sorry for the loss. I lost a tool box and tools in a gas station fire when I was younger and as I recall the insurance company didn't do didly for me or the other mechanics. You have the right attitude and need to make lemonade. I used the vinegar and then some chrome polish. Worked pretty well but alot of time and elbow grease. Better have some good music, comfortable seat and cold beer. Good luck!

3. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

x2 on not using electrolysis for this. CHROME-moly tools would definitely create hexavalent chrome. I have used Prep&Etch for this. Its phosphoric acid. Will eat the rust, not the steel and can be used over and over. Got it at "Homer" for $29 bucks and it'll do all the hand tools you've got. Evaporust has worked for me too which I think also has the same acid in it. You can use it over and over as well. HF has that pretty cheap. Sorry this happened to you...simply devastating. Molasses works good but I never could get over the smell (oof it stinks) but it will attract all kind of new pet critters :D. Molasses takes a while too compared to other methods. Vinegar works too, but the smell reeks and if you dont get it all off and neutralize the acid with a base you are right back where you started

4. silversink

silversink

nothing but hydrogen gas---completely harmless--not

5. Gerrys

Gerrys

Not the same wood bleach is oxalic acid used by bike restorers. will not affect chrome. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/wood-bleach/

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

53 COE, is that same product from Harbor Freight?

4TTRUK

7. kscarguy

kscarguy

You could take them to a shop that tumbles brake rotors. They wire them inside a cage and the machine shoot glass beads at them as they spin...

8. Try LPS 3 or 4 I don't remember. Its a creamy foam and removes rust and coats the tool to help prevent rust .

9. k9racer

k9racer

""""""""How HOT did they get"""" This is the BIG question. Break a wrench and injure your self. Chrome poison is very bad and is hard to heal cuts from this. If it is only smoke just oil them down and use them. Be very careful when using those tools.. Bobby

10. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Try.. alumi prep with a Grey scotch brite.. Metal prep would work to if they are really bad.. might be worth a try.. also if your worried about the Rust stasrting to reappear.. see about getting some alodine to coat those.. the stuff works great.. just wear Gloves through the whole process..