Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Finned steel brake drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruizznn, Jan 10, 2016.

1. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

Hi, I have a Ford 9" housing equipped with 11X 2-1/4 backing plates and moser axles. To look old school and traditional I would like to use some finned brake drums on the rear. I had a rod once that had drums off of a 71 Torino GT that were quite heavy and deep fins around the edges. ( I have been told those may be 2-1/2) The mosers are setup with 1/2" studs and 4-3/4 bolt pattern so I know I would at the least have to redrill the drums. I guess what I was wondering about was the center register hole sizes using an aftermarket moser and a stock Ford finned drum or will I end up having to use a plain smooth edge steel drum (I have no drums which to measure with) and do the moser axles affect the brake space measurement? (housing end to axle flange) I assume these aftermarket axles hopefully are made to utilize the stock drums, especially something finned! Any thoughts? thanks..

2. AndersF

AndersF

80:s Dodge D100 van have 11x2.5 inch drums and 5x4,5 bolt spacing.
    At least Raybestos drums for theese are finned.

3. Finned/ not finned can depend on who makes them. Usually the ones for Ford station wagons had the fins on them. Places like Rock Auto have pictures with most of the items they sell and decent descriptions.