Register now to get rid of these ads!

finding tdc on a sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big creep, Apr 20, 2011.

1. big creep

big creep

hey guys and gals. i bought a fluid-ampner for the sbc the old stock one was cracked and i didnt trust it, and i bought an adjustable timer pointer for it cause the stamp one is a piece of crap! now heres the deal, i want to find tdc without removing the head, ive seen the spark plug tool and i know that its adjustable, but ive never used one before and dont want to fuck it up.ive search and searched for a video on how to use one, but i cant find one? but i did find this video, tell me what you think? i think its pretty clever. i did do a search, but none of it helped my stupid ass! thanks in advance!

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Aw7IdW4Qxcc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess

2. Larry T

Larry T

Pretty simple to find TDC with a piston stop. Install the stop, CAREFULLY turn the engine until the piston GENTLY touches the stop and stops. Mark the damper, turn the engine in the opposite direction until the piston hits the stop again, mark the damper there. Split the difference and it's TDC.
    Larry T

3. big creep

big creep

ok but how much do you thread in on the stop? is it just to stop the piston from completing the stroke? and same on the reverse?

4. Yes sir you are dead right.

5. Larry T

Larry T

Yep, it's just a stop. If you have the head off you can use a dial indicator, but I usually use a stop there too.
    You might look at post 3 here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215715
    Larry T

6. big creep

big creep

ok i think i got it! thanks for the help guys! and use a brass one right! i know i can make one, but sometimes i dont know my own strength! ill do it in baby steps!

7. Larry T

Larry T

Unhook the battery, pull all of the plugs and take it slow. It's pretty easy to screw something up if you get ham fisted. Better safe than sorry.
    Larry T

8. big creep

big creep

i just have very heavy hands, or as my friend puts it( dick beaters). thanks again for the help!

9. Larry T

Larry T

10. Your new Fluidamper should have a timing groove,timing tape,or hash marks indicating TDC.
    If it was mine,I'd install balancer & rotate the engine so piston is coming up on compression stroke,#1 firing.
    When it gets close to the top,put a small screwdiver in sp plug hole & continue turning until you 'think' the piston is all the way at the top.
    You might have to go back & forth a couple of times to get the *feel* for TDC.
    When you think its all the way up(at piston dwell),install your adjustable pointer,pointing at "0" on your balancer & you're done.

Notice!,,, this is how *I* would do it,as it will be very close for a street deal.
    Splitting the difference with a piston stop/dial indicator is the correct way to get it perfect.
    Have fun its easy!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  11. ckunsman89

ckunsman89
    from cocoa, FL.

+1 on this. I use the screwdriver method.

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

My way watch the intake valve open and close on number one cylinder Pull plug and install tie wrap to check ,If its all the way up at top.Turn balancer by hand,

13. Markgyver

Markgyver

+2 I use this method also.

14. big creep

big creep

yea i did try it this way but, im a bit of a perfectionist when it come to this, granted its a street motor,but i would rather take the time and do it right. not that this method is wrong, but a piston stop is ten bucks tops! thats not a big deal to me for a tool i can use over and over again. i dont build motors all the time, but its what i prefer. but thanks for the input. i do like the oil method in this video, but i wouldn't do it!

15. Does your Fluidamper have marks,grooves or anyting indicating TDC?
    Like this one?

It should,and if so think about this.
    You will be writing/scratching your new marks all over it,depending on how far in you screw the stop into the cyl.

BTW,,I like perfectionists:D

Attached Files:

16. big creep

big creep

yes it does, but i have an adjustable pointer! the sock stamp one is crap!!! just need to find it, then i can set it where it need to be.

17. Larry T

Larry T

Or you could use the timing marks already on the balancer, or maybe put a piece of masking tape on there while you're indexing it.
    You will need a pointer of some sort to start with. I'd just install the adjustable pointer and set it somewhere near the middle. Use the tape to find TDC with your pointer, remove the tape and set the pointer to TDC on the damper.
    Larry T

18. big creep

big creep

im far from a perfectionist, but i try and most times i fail! but what can you do?

19. Larry T

Larry T

I realize there is no such thing as perfection, but I like to get as close as I reasonably can.
    Larry T

BTW, if fairly close is close enough, you could line up you timing marks on your timing gears, slap your timing cover/damper on without moving the crank and set your pointer on your mark. You should be within a degree or two-------------or maybe three. (G)

20. Fu&k the timing pointer!
    "Power Time" the sumbitch like they used to---:eek: