Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finding one of your old cars.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluecar, Nov 18, 2011.

1. bluecar

bluecar

Hey.

Trying to find a car I used to own. No VIN number, insurance cards or old registration.

I do still have the license plate with the numbered sticker on it.

Ran the craigslist ads with no luck. Called my insurance agent, they
    called the home office, it was not listed anymore. Dad even checked his old papers with no luck.

Any ideas on how to find it with a plate/sticker number ??

Thanks,
    BC

2. 6704gto

6704gto

did you try the local dmv have you tried the club web sites of the model of car was,also i dunno if you heard of this but there a web site called lost car registery,or you might be able to use ustrace.com

3. Bilt

Bilt

States do stuff different then others. I'm not sure which state you are in and how old the tag is but some states keep the tags in the data base for only a few years. SOme of the County Clerk's office keep them longer if property taxes were paid. You can always check with who you sold it to and see if the have knowledge of it or if they have any vin information.

4. I am in British Columbia, Canada, I recently got all the VIN numbers of the cars my dad owned. I went through the Vehicle Records Dept., the search was done with his drivers license number. I had to provide my dad's death certificate along with a letter of permission from the executor of his will (my mother) because of privacy laws.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

What is it?? any pics? you'd be amased at the power of the HAMB

6. Most of the time these days, the DMV is of no help to you in finding a car you used to own. Since 9/11, states have been stiffening up the title-search laws, so that the only way you can do something like that is is you actually still own the car, or are law enforcement, insurance company, or a creditor with a lien on the vehicle.

Unless you have at least a slight idea where it might have gone, chances are you are not going to find it. And without a VIN, you'll never know for certain that even if you found "it", that it was yours at one time. Like Shaggy said, post some pics and you might get lucky.

I've tried to find my old '55 Chevy Cameo pickup for over ten years without success. I do have the VIN from the old Colorado registration from it, and a few pics, but that's all I'll ever likely to see.

7. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

Old cars are like old girlfriends, you only think you want 'em back....

8. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

Still Crazy... you truly are a Certified Master of the Obvious...LOL