Register now to get rid of these ads!

finding a 8a-4035-c gasket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled, Nov 7, 2010.

1. I don't have an early ford shops here on the gulf coast and I don't want to pay next day shipping. The local auto part stores keep trying to match up the model which is brings them to 1M-4035. It is a rear axle cover gasket, as far as I know this is the typical 49-56 ford and mercury rear end. Does anyone have a suggestion? thanks, Tim

2. I guess no one knows that has read it so far.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Not typical 49-56 because they differ. Macs has them. www.macsautoparts.com

8M-4035 for Ford Wagons & Mercury 49-50 = $9.95
    8A-4035 for Fords EXCEPT wagons 49-56 = $4.95
    1M4035 for Ford Wagons & Mercury 51-56 = $4.95

5. why not just get some gasket material and make one?

6. thanks for the replys, this is my daily driver between Mardi Gras and Thanksgiving. I was trying to avoid shipping cost and I need it quick. The reason I was trying to buy it vice make it, is because it should be about 5 bucks at the auto parts store. again thanks, Tim

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Bolt a sheet of gasket material to your opening on the axle housing. Tap fairly gently around the outside edge against the edge of the flange...the excess will be cut and just fall off by itself.
    Repeat at inner edge, this time holding hammer so face is nearly flat in relation to flange on first pass, then increase angle and keep tapping...about third trip around that inner excess will topple over. You can do this in 2 minutes, and will get a gasket that looks die cut if you keep tapping till the things separate on their own.