Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finaly got to weld again after being paralysed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopshop13, Feb 2, 2010.

1. I am a T-4 Para myself, my tig torch fell off of the folder and was burning the shit outta my leg, never knew it til later when I saw a big wet spot on my jeans, pulled them up to see a large pussing burn! Was a GOOD DAY to be paralyzed! LOL...."Man I bet that woulda hurt"....The leather apron is your friend, but you still need to watch for slag. I only TIG weld anymore, dont need to worry about Mig sparks and ARC slag, although I can do both if absolutely needed. With no trunk/stomach muscles, it Kinda limits me to bench work, or at least something I can lean on and weld at the same time. Really limits what you can do, how far you can weld, etc. On my first chair, I made a plate to put the pedal on so I could run it with my elbow... I really dont like any of the hand controls for my tig setup... I do mostly aluminum, and my newest momentary switch, isnt good for aluminum cuz you have no control over amperage. It is eaither on, or off. So you can really only go a couple inches. But I still get it done. You may just be limited to short runs with the feed wire, but at least you can do that much! Good to see you out in the shop again. Cant worry about the things you cannot do, only the things you CAN. Where there is a will, there is a way. Hang in there brother, it only gets easier as time goes on. Below is a pic of me Tigging an aluminum raidator from my chair, running the pedal with my elbow on the plate I made that slipped over my armrest..... About 6-7 years ago. You ever wanna talk, feel free to PM me.

Good Luck!!!!

James

Attached Files: