Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally started 51 shoebox

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by maverick3316, Aug 19, 2020.

1. maverick3316

maverick3316

Bought this car a few years ago, from another H.A.M.B member (jhutch713), haven't had a chance to do much with it besides get a drive-train in it to be able to move it around (less manually). Finally pulled it into the shop to start teardown, and metal work.
    1951 Shoebox - body and interior original to the best of my knowledge. Drive-train was missing when purchased. I have installed a 1956(?) 292 Y-Block, and 4 speed manual transmission. I will be changing that to a 700-R4 automatic so the wife can drive it as well. I dont plan to chop the top at this time, I just want to get it painted, cleaned up and drive-able for weekend cruises and shows. Pics show car as purchased, and some teardown pics.

Attached Files:

210superair, F-ONE and 54 ford coupe like this.
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If I had shoehorned a Y block and 4 speed into a shoebox, it would be staying.

Teach her to drive a straight shift.
    There's no excuse not too.
    It can be a bonding experience.:rolleyes:

It's a big pain in the butt to adapt Fords to Fords. Y blocks don't adapt easily to anything. That's a lot of special parts to run a 700.

These make great performance cars. Here is famous 51 Sedan. you gotta watch the Ashville Chase and spin starting at 2:00 minutes in.

3. I don't like those Y Blocks esp. At 5:39 of the video. Think I'll stick to The FE series.....

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Geejus. Hell of a bootleg turn, I thought ya posed to do it just with e brake and sliding ass end around.

F-ONE likes this.

5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

51shoebox, yessir. Rolling the same but the custom coupe. I'll be watching the thread, tear it up! 20200825_183148.jpg