Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally got my barn find home...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoMoCo_MoFo, Mar 7, 2006.

1. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

last fall while I was in Montana I found this `59 El Camino in a Barn. it is the first chevy I have ever owned...
    [​IMG]
    I secured the deal with the owner and then winter set in making it hard for me to drive up there and get it. I have lusted after this car every day until I could finally bring it home...
    [​IMG]
    pretty much all I have done is wash the car, the old 14" bias ply WWW off of my T-bird on it, found the missing hubcap on eBay for $14, re-built the carb and she is running great!

I think all I am going to do is torch the coils to get it setting right and DRIVE IT!

2. muffman58

muffman58

Holy Cow! That`s a mint Elky. You are one lucky sombich. It would be hard to do anything to her, but maybe lower it a tad! Very,Very Nice!

3. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

Holy crap, did they just park it in the barn yesterday? What a find.

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I notice the same plate # in both pics, did you drive it home?

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've lusted after a '59 Elky since riding in a new one in 1959. Looks like you found one thats almost like new. Congrats.

Frank

6. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

The only worse way to lower it than torching the coils is to run on the rims!

Since it is so nice DONT ruin it with Mickey Mouse work. Go to a spring shop and have them make 4 new ones to give you the height you want without sacrificing handling. Not at all expensive to do it correctly.

7. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

I agree, Don't torch the fucking coils or cut em'. Go through the spring guide and find which ones will cross over. Look for springs with the same hieght and diameter but with a lower wieght ratio. This will drop the car (by way of the vehicles own weight), but keep the spring hieght so that when your' haulin' ass and hit a dip, the springs won't fall out of their perches and leave you fliping down the road. Those 59-60 Elky's and impallas had a nasty habbit of doing that when you would cut the coils and shorten them up.
    Nice car by the way, but you would never catch me dead in a chevy...FoMoCo por vida holms.

8. rocknrods

rocknrods
    BANNED

I love the dash on those units.

9. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Well, if you hate Chevy's that much, I'll take it!

10. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

SWEET!!!

Congratulations on the excellent score.

11. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Very nice, Elcos are beautiful.

Good luck with the bowtie.

I've been a Chevy guy forever and suddenly find 2 Fords in the garage, kinda the same thing. Very strange.

12. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

dont worry guys it has the 40+ year old driver's side "lean" to it and if I were to keep it at stock height (or even lower it correctly which i will do in the NEAR future) I would have to get new springs on it anyway, so torching them isnt that big of a deal.

trust me FoMoCo guys, I feel weird driving this car... but it is a `59 elco :) and can make some serious cash within the hour of anyday I wish to sell it

13. brainfrz

brainfrz

Beautiful car...what a difference a little sunlight and a bath!!

Nice find.

B-Frz

14. plymouth_man

plymouth_man
    from WI.

Nice find,I would make a homemade spring compresser,out of 2 pieces of flat and put it on and take it for a spin,and see if that is the feel you want. Dont cut the springs,and than find out it handles like sh**. I would leave it stock.

15. Zumo

Zumo

Very nice find. Wish I could make a barn give birth to a car.

16. 133

that is an awesome score! congrats. just slam it and slap some Radirs or Supremes on it.

17. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

I would get the proper springs simply for the fact it's an Elky- it's meant to haul! Or at least get some airbags for the rear

Nice find!

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Damn, nice find! If I had to own a Chevrolet, then that's the one I'd want. :D

19. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

DITTO!

20. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

That looks so nice and original and such a nice color I think you should leave it stock. Hell it's a '59 El Camino. It's super cool the way it came from the factory. Keeping it stock may be worth more too.
    Ed

21. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

like I said before. The car's current springs are sagging to one side and will be torched. that is the only modification that this car will have...

I will get real lowering springs made for it if I end up keeping it.

[​IMG]

22. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

sweeeet!

i love 59 elco's, but i love 59 impala's even more :p i would love to have either one though!

23. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

ok guys, it's now for sale in the NEW classifieds...