Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally got another project!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harris, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Harris

Harris

Ok, as some of you might recall due to work/economy issues the '29 A I was working on had to be sold last August :( (see avatar pic)

Well, last weekend I was finally able to fill the void in my garage. It's a 1953 Chevrolet -- mostly complete, needs : interior, transmission shifter(damn powerglide), wiring and obviously some paint. Fortunately the guy I bought it off of said the motor (235) had been rebuilt not long ago, and judging by how she runs I'd have to agree.

Haven't decided what direction to take her yet, but know those wheels HAVE TO GO. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Without further ado,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. George G

George G

3. McFly

McFly

Very nice...but that's a 54. Congrats...they are fun cars.

oops...just noticed, it looks like someone swapped grilles. 53 wearing 54 grille & tail lights?

4. Wicked50

Wicked50

Good luck and keep us posted

5. Huckster59

Huckster59

nice ride ,glad your back on your feet or wheel.

6. henry29

henry29

I kinda like that one 53 tooth in the middle.

7. James427

James427
    BANNED

Can't wait to see what it looks like after you run a buffer over it!

8. Harris

Harris

Yeah, there's some pretty um unique features here.... the last person to work on it swapped taillights, apparently did some grill changing, 3 speed shifter on a 2 speed transmission, 6 volt battery with 12 volt coil/system? I'm still trying to figure out half the things he did to it.

It is a '53, got almost all the documentation, going back to some of the original dealer paperwork the original owner got from a dealership here in San Antonio Texas! From what I can tell, last time she was registered was 83 or 84, going by registration slips (most of which came with the car).

9. 067chevy

067chevy

I'd worry about the wheels and pipes before I did anything to the paint.

10. Soreback

Soreback

I love 53, 54's. Looks like you got a good start. Lake pipes are kinda different.:rolleyes: I'd do some traditional stuff. Peak the hood, shave the door handles, french in the headlights ect. Got a buddy with a belair with a 235 with triplets and a split manifold and a s-10 5 speed. It scoots pretty well and cruises real nice.:D Looking at your "T" I'm sure you will make this one just as sweet. Good Luck!

11. nutajunka

nutajunka

Solid, your dry spell is over.

12. 73super

73super

I've got a '49 I'm working on and the best wheel/tire combo I found for myself was a stock painted wheel with center chrome cap and wide white, but that's usually my preference on most of my rides. I just don't think mags look right on these early chevys unless your doing a gasser.

A vintage hubcap would be nice too. Lots to choose from. There's also Caddy hub caps, etc.

Nice car.. good luck!

13. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

They make nice cars

14. retromotors

retromotors

I'd buff the paint, shitcan the wheels and lakes pipes and drive around with a big ol' grin! :D

15. OFT

OFT

Nice start. I agree with changing the rims and sidepipes. "Real" lakes with wide whites, cap and rings on solid's would be my choice.

Earl

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

very cool , solid looking ride , cant figure out why but the weirdness of the wheels and pipes and faded paint looks froggy enough that id have to drive it that way for awhile just to give daily comuters indigestion

17. Harris

Harris

Yeah, you guys think those pipes are make you sick, you ought to see the welds, not to mention the exhaust tubing that curves, expands, and even contracts before getting to the 3 inch diameter side pipes!

18. Those wheels will sell quick at a swap meet. Nice find!

19. henry29

henry29

Here's a quick photoshop.

[​IMG]

20. I did that once back in college days of the 60's -- sorta changed my
    53 Belair hardtop to a 54 by switching tail lights and ornaments, but
    didn't go to the trouble of the grille. Looks good. You'll eventually
    get it straightened out. I also had a 54 Chevy 210 which was a
    very good car.

21. slammed

slammed

What a starting point. More primer/semi gloss to follow? Bagged a good looking classic.

22. Harris

Harris

Damn, henry29 thanks for that, really helps with the whole "mental image" ya know.

Hey, re-animator you actually think those awful wheels are worth any coin? Might have to list them up on craiglist or offer 'em up at the Roundup!

23. GasserDave

GasserDave
    from Sin City

Id chop it , bad it and drive it like you stole it....Cool car...My neighbors got 2 of them and theyre a bitchin car.....

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like mild but if you decide to get wild heres a couple cool diffrent derections.

Attached Files:

25. Harris

Harris

Little too wild for my taste! Any other ideas?

26. pro1street

pro1street

Here's a couple of options for you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  27. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

nothing wrong with a little 53/54 chev. one of my favs, even with it's (ever increasing) popularity... they're just nice little cars. that one looks like it has a few easily correctable issues (wheels/tires/stance, pipes(!), mirrors, etc.) that would turn it into a real nice little driver. congrats man.