Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally a Model A owner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -impalamike-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

That thing looks fantastic!

Nice pics at the Capitol, by the way. I grew up in Frankfort. You should head down to the ruins of the Old Crow Distillery and do a shoot.

2. Elrod

Elrod

Vacuum leak on the carb? Sometimes in the install, those little rubber plugs fall off... Maybe one missing...

Or if its REALLY barely running, 180 out?

3. Haha thanks, man. I thought that might be a problem... hiccup

Thanks buddy

Thanks I appreciate it. I am looking forward to getting it on the road and taking some good pics. I still have a lot of plans for the car. I just wanted to get the car ready for this weekend for Beatersville. After this weekend then i'm going to get back on it.

Hey what's going on Elrod. When we first tried to fire it up it was 180 out. It's funny no matter what you do it's always 180 out. lol
    Anyways we turned it around and we got it running but not that great. The timing light isn't catching the timing mark on the distributor. I think it's just really far out of time. Were going to get back at it in a few hours after we get off work and see if we can dial this thing in and get some video for you guys

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

Mike.....it's been several hours!
    Any luck?

5. Yes there as been luck, unfortunately it has been bad luck. Details later

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. A Rodder

A Rodder

Sorry man, that sucks

7. Thanks, got the car running good but after test driving it and swapping out some tranny parts and doing some troubleshooting we found out that the tyranny is bad and won't shift out of 1st gear. Now we are In a mad dash to find a turbo 350 within the next 24 hours to swap it out in time for Beatersville this weekend. It has been the goal for the past 7 months to have this thing ready for this show. It's not looking good

8. A Rodder

A Rodder

I assume you checked or tried adjusting the vacuum modulator.

I had a sbc and ath350 in another tudor I had. Worked flawlessly for a couple years. Then I swapped to an X1 6-2 crossram setup. Had no vacuum and the trans wouldn't go out of first. I tried adjusting it and still wouldn't work. Talked to a tranny guy and he gave me a spring to put behind the valve shaft. That way it took less vacuum to operate.

Worked like a champ after.

Remember the modulator is like vacuum advance. It doesn't use vacuum, it just senses it.

9. Ill try the spring thing tomorrow. We swapped the modulator out with one that was in my buddy's truck do that we know we have a good one, we also swapped governors out also. Ill keep ya posted

10. I found another transmission, just picked it up. Going to swap them out in a few minutes. In the meantime here is one of the test runs we did last night in low gear. Mikes29 is driving while I recorded it

http://youtu.be/FJufDBrapkg

11. Here are a few pictures of under the seat showing off the fancy hide away cup holder and the battery location

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369423007.003742.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369423014.332563.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369423022.982174.jpg

12. A Rodder

A Rodder

I am stealing the cup holder idea,
    What car did it come from?

13. Elrod

Elrod

Cup holders and modulators? Is this an old hotrod we are talking about??? :p

Hope that trans swap goes smoothly

14. Haha, don't hate on my hide away cup holders Elrod :)
    I call it my high tech hotrod

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  15. Update. Transmission swap went smooth Friday night. We finished up the car about 3 in the morning. Slept for 3 hours then took the car on an all day bourbon distillery run on Saturday, after that we took it to Beatersville for the show on Sunday. The car ran like a bat out of hell and I couldn't be happier.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369713901.779456.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369713918.159939.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369713930.393210.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369713946.609897.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369713965.593364.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369713977.327209.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369714002.143625.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369714028.743262.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369714042.093430.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1369714058.076697.jpg

GASSERBOB likes this.
  16. TravezRipley

TravezRipley
    from San Diego

17. You did a great job on the car!

Don't forget to top off the Differential!

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

One of the top threads in the last year for sure.

Nice job dude

19. Elrod

Elrod

Congrats! You did it! Looks good!

20. Nice job Mike. She looks real good.

21. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Excellent Job Mike. Thanks for taking the time to share your build.

22. thanks everyone for your interest in my car. There is no way I could have done this without the help of fellows Hambers Bsharp and Mikes29. I will still keep this thread active with updates as I still have things I am going to do to the car.

23. Congrats!
    You done real good.
    The timeline and finished product are
    both very impressive

24. I dunno about all of that but thanks!

Now I just need to get my speedometer working. It's either way off or this thing handles really good when im going 200 miles an hour :D

25. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Nicely done on a time frame that, frankly, was not typical.

Enjoy.

26. Lol thanks Paco. I'm impatient

27. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Impatient is not the word ... driven is more like it.

That A is the snit! Couldn't ask for a better stance. I am so all over the fenders too. The updated chassis was the bonus program.

I showed the wife & she wanted to know when the '64 fairlanes for sale!! Heartless that woman is. I did think about it though.

Again - kick ass job & if that is not an inspiration to get one done ... that it ain't anything.

Great job.

28. Well thanks man, I appreciate it. I don't think it's anything that special. Just another coupe. The thing that makes it special to me is the friendships that have grown with the guys who helped me build it and the therapy of working out in the garage on it during a really rough time in my life. I think it's the only thing that has kept me sane.

29. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Well if it's just another coupe than lets trade ... you can have my "barn find" super stocker - '64 fairlane c-dan. LOL