Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally a Model A owner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -impalamike-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. What a beautiful A! We painted my 36 Ford that similar dark green 20+ years back. I vote not to molest it, but if ya do, a flathead 8 would be my choice. Keep us posted with updates!!!

2. Thanks man I will. :D

Lexington is about 20 mins from me

3. A Rodder

A Rodder

One thought on hopping up the banger.

If you don't go in to the engine, for about a grand you can do one up pretty good.
    Intake from Bc CHOPIT
    Header from Matt
    Stromberg
    FS ignition
    and a high compression head.

Those will turn it upside down and give enough power to turn 750 rear tires.
    The acceleration is about double over stock.

Also, these parts for the most part almost loose no value in reselling them, or will enhance the value of your chassis if you sell it with these parts.

This is the route I took so can enjoy the car, differently than stock, without putting a ton of money into it. And now I can compile parts and pieces for a v8 32 frame setup.

Something to think about.....

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

I should say with the head, you're closer to a 1500 total if you buy a new one.

5. Thanks Joe, I will look into it. Your car looks like my evil twin. lol

6. Another thought to consider for an engine is a 4 cylinder Chevy II (or the later Mercruiser 181 cubic inch version). They go in easily and don't require too many mods. A little hop up equipment should give you all the power you need in a vehicle that has fenders that look and act (at high speed) like airplane wings.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  7. mikes29

mikes29
    from kentucky

Hey mike let put a big spoiler on the front and a wing on the back to hold her down. Your going to have to do better than 70 MPH to keep up with my old green model a truck. I do love to push the peddle down.

8. Well I gotta go fast enough to get in the front of you. If not then ill get covered in oil ;)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. A perfect day to drive the A. Got our daughter and our neighbors kid in the rumble. I have a feeling I will be giving lots of rumble rides next summer lol
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1352075607.470543.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1352075620.215624.jpg

10. A Rodder

A Rodder

Those first rides are the best

11. castleman1111

castleman1111

Keep yurs stock lookin!!! So my 28 slammed no fendered 327 powered piecrust rider gets all the attention!!!! Lmao!! Just kiddin!! Awesome keeper. Let us chop up the ones in not so good of shape first!! Congrats!!

12. synchro7

synchro7

As far as the statement "Love being a model A owner" goes, it never changes. I feel the same about mine now as I did when I drug it home a little over 42 years ago. Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  13. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Go with a flathead, or at least a Ford. Everyone and their dog has a Chevy/Mopar engine in their Model A. There is just something inherently wrong about putting a Chevy engine in a Ford. Street rods have the Chevy, hot rod have the flathead.

14. bustingear

bustingear

1. Change name to modelAmike
    2. Chop it!

15. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

The DMV comments are valid, on my Model A I had, the engine # and Frame # did not match so I titled it with the engine number [which was on the title from Tennessee] What ever number you have on the title. KY will , free of charge , allow you to make a pencil rubbing of the # on the car, and fill out a form at the DMV and send it to Frankfort and you will get a FREE state issued VIN plate to put in the doorjamb with rivets. Then you will have the body VIN tagged and you will be free to either hot rod it or sell it out of state with no hassle. Good luck on the build. Looks like a great car and they are fun..

16. Thanks for the comments. The was registered with no hassle. It has a state issued vin from Indiana that was done about 35 years ago. The vin tag is on the firewall and it matches the title. I'm good to go. Driving it yesterday was a blast although it's a bit of a handfull. lol

17. Update: Ordered my frame from Brookville today. Should be ready in a about 2 weeks at the latest. We will be driving up there to pick it up and take a tour of their facility. I will post up pictures.

18. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Nice car man! Good luck with it , enjoy!

19. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

great lookin car,like your plans for it. full fenders with the rite stance hard to beat.good luck

20. Took the A out yesterday for a club run. 70 degree weather and a drive through the countryside

Next week we start the build. :D

Attached Files:

21. Just a quick update. Got a well needed part for the A
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1352858193.606635.jpg

22. davo461

davo461

Mike, make sure you keep an eye on that! Mine disappeared from my A when I was playing at a jazz dance and forgot to remove it.
    Another of my feats of DUMB.lol
    Davo.

23. Update. Day 1 of the build. A very productive day. Myself, my buddy Gary, and Hambers BSharp and Humfleet had the body off the chassis in 3 hours flat.

1 last before shot

[​IMG]

My new Brookville frame

[​IMG]

and it begins.....

[​IMG]
    Bsharpe gettin dirty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Humfleet checking out his newly acquired chassis ;)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The ol' girl waiting on her new undies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. A Rodder

A Rodder

25. Wow Mike lots of progress made! Always good to have helpers around.

26. Thanks Walt, the suspension is coming on Tuesday. Looking forward to getting started on it

27. SOLO

SOLO

Nice work! I know what its like to tear down a Model A. Should be a cool ride when your done!

28. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

At this rate she ought to be ready for a shakedown run in a couple weeks. Keep up the good work!!!

29. LOL I wish. I'm still trying to locate a motor. I got a lot of work to do. I'm shooting for early Spring

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  30. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

Part, parts, We NEED more parts to keep this thing going!!!! JK, It's easy to tear it down when there are four people going at it. It won't be so quick to get it all mocked back up suspension wise and get her on her new shoes. It will happen though, If it takes all of us all winter. :)