Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fiberglass Filler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Apr 27, 2021.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Over the years I've always made crack repairs to my beat up, modified Vette with cut up pieces of fiberglass mat and polyester resin, ground down when cured and skim coated with filler. I have to make some repairs now and wondering if so called Fiberglass Filler has a place in these repairs.

Anyone use it? Does it have the same strength to repair cracks?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I use it over resin and mat and small cracks before filler. It doesn't have the strength of a resin and mat repair.

VANDENPLAS and blowby like this.
  3. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

It has its place. Note that it is a filler and not a repair material. I sometimes use it as a base before regular body filler especially if you are repairing something that requires more filler than you would normally like to use. There is also another type that has longer fibers.

VANDENPLAS and blowby like this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If you're fixing damage ( cracks/ holes) then no , if its an area that needs a little extra vibration / impact resistance then yes . Just an aside , about 25 years ago I picked up a can of resin jelly ( bondo brand) . For many repair jobs , used with cloth ( matte is difficult) this stuff is the nuts . Its easy to apply to tight radius compound contour surfaces , doesn't " bubble" at corners like resin , IT sticks & stays in place . just something I've had excellent results/ experience with .

VANDENPLAS, blowby and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I worked in a body shop one summer in high school, we had a deal with a place that rented jet skis, we would fix any damage, and you can believe people on vacation did not treat rented jet skis well!
    They’d drop the boats off Monday and we had to have them back Thursday for weekend rentals so we didn’t have time to do proper fibreglass repairs with cloth, mat and resin.

This was the solution and it was basically indestructible once cured,

Evercoat 868 Kitty Hair Reinforced Filler - 1 Quart https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000Q8ICHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_CC055BR13P4M2PVV9QFP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've used Duraglass filler for years, and always after I laid up glass mat first to strengthen and make the repair. Then a coat of Duraglass over that to get it close, and thing filler over the Duraglass to get things perfect.

kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently used that Everglass short hair filler on the bottoms of a pair of saddlebags from a '65 Harley Panhead Electraglide. The bottoms of the bags were hairline cracked all over. I liked working with the stuff and it sure seems like it will do the job but they haven't been tested on the road yet.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks for the replies guys. Well I have done my usual repair, grind the cracks out and build back up with mat and resin and sanded that fairly close. I usually just skim coat with regular filler, not sure what the fiberglass filler would buy me. Maybe it's better suited for an area that not as structural but requires a thick coating.

20210430_142954.jpg 20210430_154241.jpg