Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FH Flywheel weight

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 3w Hank, Nov 4, 2022.

1. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I think I read here it was drawings how they did back then get weight off a cast steel FH flywheel.
    I can get or make a alu wheel, and I has a 10" Aburn clutch and like get it the way they did ( end of 40's )
    Ideas ?

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is an aluminum one on the classifieds today for 300 drilled for a 10".
    upload_2022-11-4_13-31-4.png

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Flywheel weight and the weight of car it is in, matters a lot,and really should be about what your doing with it. Just driving,or racing? Or even towing.
    Simple way,is that you can have a lite weight flywheel in a lite weight car,but not a heavy car=those need a heavy wheel too have drivability. Alum wheel face to a clutch disk will not last well.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. Hank,
    If I recall I have seen a thread or two that showed drawings and examples of flathead flywheels that had been lightened. I have not done it myself and cannot remember where I saw the information that you seek.

I did tear down a V8 60 once that had a drilled flywheel. It was out of a car that was beat to hell in the bull ring. I overhauled the motor and put it in a Bantam coup for the guy who owned it, complete with the drilled flywheel. He loved it. I cannot suggest that this is the proper way to do one but it worked well in his car. Like I said i have never done it.

5. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I bought a alu flywheel, Thank’s Hamb.

I did weight the sett OE and it was 7 LBS.
    I has not the weight on the alu, but my guess 3 LBS, or ?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    seb fontana likes this.