Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ferrari Fascination

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 28, 2009.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

You are not alone, that is on my Top Ten List of GREAT Cars!........... Paris is across the Channel, how did that part of the race take place, faster boat?

2. As I said before you and Denise have pictures of EVRYTHING!

That is an awesome car, can't believe that nobody has scooped it up yet.

3. Interesting story...

Apparently took place as a bet (Probably for a dollar or a pound whatever). Someone bet that they couldn't beat the train from London to Paris, back then it went by ferry across the channel. But Woolf did beat the train. Also, apparently wasn't done in this car according to some wonk, see below fro Wikipedia.

"In March 1930, during the Blue Train Races, Woolf Barnato raised the stakes on Rover and its Rover Light Six having raced and beaten Le Train Bleu for the first time, to better that record with his 6½ Litre Bentley Speed Six on a bet of 100 Pound Sterling. He drove against the train from Cannes to Calais, then by ferry to Dover and finally London, travelling on public highways, and won. Barnato drove an H. J. Mulliner-bodied formal saloon in the race; the streamlined fastback "Sportsman Coupé" by Gurney Nutting which he took delivery of on 21 May 1930 also became known as the Blue Train Bentley and is regularly mistaken for or erroneously referred to as being the car that raced the Blue Train, while in fact Barnato named it in memory of his race.[1][2] Both vehicles are still in existence." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolf_Barnato

Also told here http://www.rroc.org/page.asp?SID=1&Page=46

PS - If anyone has more pics of this car at Pebble, I would love to see them. Especiall ones of the sunroof.

4. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

i get the feeling you don't appreciate ALFA's?

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Here's how you drive a damn Ferrari...

The sound is AWESOME...

On an August morning in 1976, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris.
    No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.
    No dialogue, just the squeal of tyres and the roar of the engine. Breathtakingly insane.

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Not those particular models.

7. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

come on man, that was great car, last of their best era. in hindsight, sure i'd much rather have had a gtv, but i got that for a good deal and had a blast with it.

8. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Except that he was really driving a Mercedes 450 SEL 6.9 and dubbed in the Ferrari sound: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C'était_un_rendez-vous Nevertheless, still very entertaining.

9. There is a '62 on a Vette frame, with a 396 for sale on the Kansas City Craigslist right now. $32,000:eek: It's not mine, I just stumbled upon it.

Attached Files:

10. fonti

fonti

11. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Not in a 1000 years... Wow...

12. klazurfer

klazurfer

Kellison-kits are waay cool :) Agressive design with a lot of potension ( potential )
    Ferrari fascination .....
    Italians have built a shitload of fine cars .
    FINEST Italian made automobile ? :
    IMHO : Ferrari wins with this stunning piece : 1959 LWB California .( Those cars was Buildt by request from their Californian dealer :)
    ( Belive Pinnin Farina designed the proto , then Scaglietti added their bit of redesign before the final bodys where delivered at the Ferrari-plant )
    BTW: Just love the way VW bought & used Pinnins`design on their Notchback :)

Klaz

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  13. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Here's a few Ferrari inspired homebuilts:

Flajole, Dick Jones special & the 1955 Bangert.

Attached Files:

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

One of my all time favorites Ferrari 250 GTO

Ago

15. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

16. WAs doing some research tonight and came upon this amazing thread.

17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Not that it has anything to do with Kellisons, but I was a fortunate enough to be at Pebble Beach two years ago when they staged a special Testa Rossa exhibit.....out of the 37 TR's built between '57 and '62, 22 of them were there on the green that year.

Shelves (1 of 18).jpg Shelves (2 of 18).jpg Shelves (3 of 18).jpg Shelves (4 of 18).jpg Shelves (5 of 18).jpg Shelves (6 of 18).jpg Shelves (7 of 18).jpg Shelves (8 of 18).jpg Shelves (9 of 18).jpg Shelves (10 of 18).jpg Shelves (11 of 18).jpg Shelves (12 of 18).jpg Shelves (13 of 18).jpg Shelves (14 of 18).jpg Shelves (15 of 18).jpg Shelves (16 of 18).jpg

Shelves (17 of 18).jpg Shelves (18 of 18).jpg

rod1, kidcampbell71 and 32 Barn Car like this.
  18. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Two I owned when they were still sort of affordable in about 2001...........

PP3240003.jpg

IMG_7220.JPG

19. WordSmith

WordSmith

My two favorite Italians.

The first is a Ferrari 250GTE. Beautiful car.

[​IMG]

The second is an Italian/American hybrid, the ISO Revolta. 327 Corvette engine, Italian bodywork.

[​IMG]

20. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Many years ago I owned this 340 America"barchetta". V-12, 5 speed, dry sump. We ran a 5:1 gear on short courses like Laguna Seca. Finished second several times at the Montery Historics, won the Hans Tanner trophy at Pebble Beach in 1980. Neat car!

[​IMG]

21. Sheeez' hope somebody bought this car ? That thing is all kinds of awesome ....

22. GreenVoodoo on here now owns the Bob Mcnulty car, Along with some other historic Kellisons like the Frank Collingwood car etc